Wednesday, July 01, 2009

This quarters Railfan

I've just got my hands on the latest railfan today. Again a handy source of inspiring images. There's an interesting photo essay on the Wellington DBR's. Of most interest to me was an article by Denys Whyte recounting his experiences as a young railway photographer. His patch was the lower north island including Paikakariki. A stack of pictures that I had not seen before including some of the north end of the loco depot that shows that there was a bit more building wise than I had thought (a shed and some oil storage tanks). Also a nice shot of the south end signal box with an Ed sitting next to it. I must work out a way to make bicycles.

The photo's also tell me something about train make up. It appears that despite their speed restrictions the Ed's were still used on expresses in the 1960's. It also reveals that during the holidays they ran relief expresses with virtually any carriage that they could get their hands on. The shown example has 2 47' cars, a 56' and 2 50' cars, and a 56' van. This means that from a modeling point of view, virtually anything goes, which is what we all want the hear. It justifies making models of any obscure wagon or carriage that I can find a plan for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But why, yet again, is there no track layout diagram in the branchline article?

Kev

Amateur Fettler said...

Editorial decision....Euan and I campaigned really hard for the Waimate plan (seen here earlier) to be published with our article, but in the end Reid held sway. In the end we won a minor battle with the first mention in Railfan of the Railway Bus Services.

Kevin said...

Shame - it's really difficult to orientate without a plan. Must drop McZero a note.
Kev

lalover said...

Yes I agree, track plans are vital when discussing station layouts.