With all the computer design and laser cutting featured lately my work bench tools are starting to feel a bit unloved. However they have been used a bit, and tonight I arrived home to the hard won fruits of my loins (so to speak).
A while ago I made a master for an NZR non working coupler, and sent it off to be cast. They are now back, and I'm very impressed with the casting finish, and also that I can't quite believe that something I made could come out so well.
The hooks are made from 0.5mm brass wire. this is soldered in so that the top of the wire is level with the top of the coupler shank. I then bend the wire 2mm away from the coupler face making sure that it is slightly more than a 90 degree bend. A pair of pliers cuts the hook to length. To finish up I then squash it and file to shape.
The airbrake hose is bent to a spot roughly under the coupler.
The results won't win any awards any time soon, but they are a step towards a more prototypical look, and are finitely better than the old rapido couplers I've used previously.