Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Negative reinforcement

There are things I like, and things I don't like. I freely admit to liking Brussel sprouts, strong Belgian beer with flavors best described as 'horse blanket' and raw oysters. After a bit of experience over the weekend, I'm now very sure I don't really like making models in S scale (this doesn't seem to extend to track work, but that's more scale independent). I've been building an ablutions block for a local modelers Reefton layout. He gave me some rough dimensions and an indication of 2 sides of it. I then knocked up a plan and got to it.

It was my first introduction to stripwood, and I've discovered that we don't really get along that well. Its a nice wee model, but I can't use any of the dodges I regularly employ in the chosen scale, and if I was going to build a detailed model it would be in 9mm.

Its nice to have your own personal preferences confirmed, even if its like being beaten with a mallet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the fuzzy pix a replication of your view of the scale :) ?

Motorised Dandruff said...

Taken well after midnight with a shaky hand. I really need to get more sleep.

rulti said...

That looks jolly nice - are there internals for strength, or a backing?

everytime I read this blog I feel I should really give up what I'm doing and go with the chosen scale...

And is that your in-tray in the background?

Motorised Dandruff said...

Keep reading the blog, keep reading the blog.....

all we have to do is sow that tiny seed and you will come over to the dark side.

Anonymous said...

being that this is the chosen scale shurly he must come over to the bright side? and leave the dark side alone. by the way a nice wee building, did it take long to build?

Anonymous said...

being that this is the chosen scale shurly he must come over to the bright side? and leave the dark side alone. by the way a nice wee building, did it take long to build?

Motorised Dandruff said...

Not that long.

Oh, and we are the dark side, its much more fun in the dark.

Tip for the day; to annoy larger scale modelers, refuse to use magnification while working on a model in a larger scale. mutter comment like' no its ' enormous, I can see quite well'