Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why didn't I think of this before

While pondering at the workbench yesterday morning, I looked at the first module, and suddenly wondered why I had not connected the power up and run things on it. After all, that's what the aim is surely. Right then, out with the file (contrary to local belief I actually own 4 of them!) and the ex-NZR multimeter to check that I've gaped all the copperclad sleepers. After 1/2 an hour of that everything seemed to be OK. Time to connect some wires at the ends of the modules. Hmm, theres that short back, should have done them one at a time. Found location of first short at the other end of the modules where the brass sleepers I had installed had yet to be gapped, which was solved in 30 seconds with a fret saw. Still a short out there. Eventually found the short in a small inaccessible nook between 2 rails, and managed to get enough of a knife blade in till the short went away.

So, finally everything seems to be happy, and its time to turn on the power. A light touch on the knob and 1431 rolls off down towards Wellington. Well, not quite. It appears that I have a dodgy pot in the controller. This means that the first twist gives full speed, which with further twisting rolls back to a dead stop, and then a slow start. This unless the controller decides to go back to full speed. After several minutes of to and fro I then tried the Ed's which also happily ran over the trackwork (though I suspect that there will be a few bits that need a bit of filing to iron out the bumps). I then put the railcar on the tracks, and discovered that there was a lose wire somewhere on board. 2 minutes to find that one and fix it.


So, I've got something that runs. I must buy some Decoders at some point so that I can get more than one loco running at once. Can anyone suggest where I can get cheap minimum function decoders? As I'm not doing sounds or lights I could theoretically get by with a no function decoder.

5 comments:

steve w. said...

ok, I'll try again - 3rd attempt to post this...

digitrax DN-135 is the cheapest one available at the moment. you'll get it from sodigi for US $15.20 (6+ $14.50)

Fits many N and HO Scale Locomotives
Digitrax N Scale Harness and Plug arrangement for economic decoder sharing options
0.55" x 0.406" x 0.2"
13.86mm x 10.3mm x 4.83mm
3 FX3 Functions
1 Amp Continuous/1.25 Amp Peak Rating
Full Digitrax Series 5 mobile decoder feature set
Speed Tables
Simplified Scaleable Back EMF
Advanced Consisting
Forward and Reverse Trim
Transponding
Supersonic Motor Drive
Decoder Lock and much more
$18.95 msrp

another good and reliable source for decoders is Tony's Train Exchange

cheers...
steve w.

'muschare' lending out cows

CaptainCarbon said...

Are you considering doing anything insane such as imitating rail spike heads?

lalover said...

Congrats and well done MD, nothing like the sound of a Da mech running over freshly laid track!

Am_Fet said...

So wheres the second module then???

Motorised Dandruff said...

There will be no spikeheads as the track will mostly be hidden by the ballast.

module 2 is started and coming along nicely. North junction may be delayed.