Tuesday, August 31, 2010

DCCed

Well a wee while ago I asked for info on where to get cheap decoders.
Steve came up with the goods (what a useful chappie he is) and suggested the Digitrax DN135D from Southern Digital. Its just a simple 3 function decoder, but hey, I'm a simple chap, and I don't want no sound or flashing lights (remote uncoupling though...). I orders a couple of decoders on the 22nd, and they arrived at home last night, so 8 days. Total cost was 2 decoders at $15.20 each and $8 for the postage, which translates to $54 in the local peso. From what I've seen of local prices, this is quite a saving.

So, onto the fun. First onto the dissection table is 1410. Now being of an older vintage, the old atlas SD-9 has absolutely no DCC readiness whatsoever. I did manage to find how to on the net and that sort of helped. So, cut off the motor tags, shorten the decoder wires and solder away. The first problem arose when it suggested that I could reroute the wires up beside the motor. 'OK fine' I thought, and after 1/2 an hour of stuffing and testing decided that these clowns were talking bollocks. I then went back to my fall back position and drilled a couple of holes in the frame next to the motor terminals. The wires were then lead out and connected to the decoder. This still shorted out, but worked when the motor was out of the frame. I kept checking my soldering but couldn't see what the problem was, and eventually just taped over the offending terminals. I'd just got the whole thing back together and squeezed the top back on. A test revealed no movement, which was traced back to the motor wire which had broken just inside the hole in the frame. Back apart everything went, and new stronger wires were soldered in. This time with everything back together it worked. One down and only 2 hrs on the clock.

Next up 1431. This had a decoder in it ages ago which let all the smoke out one day (which is an important component of any electrical device). The wires were still there so it was relatively easy to connect up the decoder. A minor hassle was that the decoder would not fit quite where I wanted it to go. This was eventually sorted and Da number 2 rumbled into life and down the track, where it promptly collided with Da no 1. I had forgotten just how much fun DCC could be

So, at the end of a long annoying evening I have 2 DCCed locos.

'!@#$%^&*()'

I'm not looking forward to the Ed's as the Kato Mikado chassis is known to be a sod to do, though maybe that's if its still a steam loco.

No comments: