Monday, August 16, 2010

Thinking inside the square

Am_Fet writes:

Well, I've just heard from Herr Druffbannfurher as he meanders northwards from Christchurch to Nelson via the coast. Unfortunately, the only trains running today are 700/701 (The Coastal Pacific), so things are a bit sparse trainspotting wise.

Anyway, todays topic: This here layout-in-a-boxfile competition.

I know the blog owner has a few comments of his own to put into the mix, but seeing as he isnt here I thought I would get in at the ground floor and put my own spin on things.

Firstly, I read in an American magazine (which darent not speak its name) about an individuals response to a similar call for small plans that they ran once, and its one I wholeheartedly agree with. He admitted that his original thought process was along the lines of "Exactly what could I fit in that sort of space?" He envisaged N gauge shortlines, HO switching puzzles, even Nn3 narrow gauge. But then he thought "What would I do with this space if it was the only space I ever had?"

So, using the limitations set down by the design rules, he looked at what he was really interested in (prototype, location, scale, etc) and designed to match....and came up with a much nicer model because of it. He noted that he didnt lose enthusiasm half way through the build, or worried about having to buy extra locomotives and rolling stock that he couldnt use anywhere else.

So I'm currently thinking about how I can model my own interests (Taranaki Milkies) in such a space...and it looks like there will be some compromise involved as I dont think Whareroa is going to fit, somehow....



Okay, so what about something else? Maybe the cheese stores at the western end of the plant? Or why not a small fictitious louding point for the OM's, possibly like Longburn? Do the OM's ever go through a Car and Wagon depot, say at Palmy?

Or do I move the OM's down the priority list and look at other stations on the MNPL, like Aramoho with its CF's of fertiliser and USL's for logs? What about the service siding at Kai Iwi? The old Cheese store at Patea?



Okay, so thats enough verbiage from me....but what about the readers who want to model the BoP log traffic? If this was the only space you were ever going to have, what would you do?

(Thanks to Drew for the pics, as always)

4 comments:

steve w. said...

"What would I do with this space if it was the only space I ever had?"
...then I would build parts of the Alaska Railroad locomotive maintenace facility in Anchorage. (doesen't help me in this challenge) ;-)

cheers...
steve w.

'anexpown' actor

Andrew Hamblyn said...

Indeed... A loco depot or a C+W depot. Good idea that.

I once treasured a plan that was presented in that American modelling magzine on a layout based entirely on a loco repair facility, with a mainline for setting out and picking up locos, and a loop that circumnavigated the whole complex...

I have purchased one of said boxes and was thinking that a loco depot would be perfect - and in fact the idea of New Plymouths humble facility could almost fit the bill.

To answer the OM question, yes there are always OM's in the repair shed at Palmy... they get a hard life.

I will have to read the rules again... isnt there supposed to be a "mainline" so they can be conected to other peoples boxes?

RKBL said...

Hi AM-Fet
I have passed the Longburn Faclity when I travelled via the Capital Connection,
They have a covered space beside the mainline for the OM,s where the unload the milk, which dips abit below the mainline. IIRC it holds about Five OM's. I'm going to guess they also wash out the tank under that covered Faclity.

RKBL said...

Bop and Kinleith Log Traffic, hmm good question, If it was the only space I had, I think I would either do the log load facility at Murapara, or Something I can remeber from the Eighties at at Place called Pindale which had a loop/siding and a portable conveyor to convey sawdust into La's/Lc wagons from the piles, If you look on google earth there are still remmiants of the sawdust/ pits beside the Rotorua Line.