Friday, September 25, 2009

For the rest of you

The comments section suggests that some out there might be growing weary of my fascination with boiling water machines and the products of English electric, as they can't remember them. Personally I struggle to remember parts of last week.
Since Darryl has gone to Romania to chase vampires and steam trains, Its up to me so I'll post this picture of one of Drew's offices this week.


'Morning Miss Jones, 11 minutes late, leaves on the line at Waitotara. Take a memo....'

For those of you out their currently making models of Milk tankers, I hope you will include the height differences as well. I assume they were all empty?

3 comments:

woodsworks said...

There's no height difference.... the tanks are all mounted sloping down to one end to aid in draining them out. They are typically run in facing pairs to save time dragging hoses from one wagon to the next - I'm not sure if one connection can do two tankers at once, or one tank is drained then the other.

Anonymous said...

I think one tank at a time per connection hose, Paul, from what I remember seeing at Oringi and Whareroa.

I will need to confirm that for my representation of the Oringi terminal.

Andrew Hamblyn said...

The picture is of a loaded milk train at Waitotara.

As previously mentioned, the LSM's (the tanks on the OM's) slope to one end to facilitate unloading.

The OM's are paired up with the unloading points together, hence the funny looking "ridgelines" when looking along the train.

As for loading / unloading, its one hose per tank.

I will do an in-depth blog about milk train operations in the near future, when I can get an hour or so to string some words together.
Drew