Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thunking

Discussions over the weekend broached (among other things) the possibilities of getting plans of diesels that appeared in the NZRLS books in the 80's. As I seem to be in a minority around here for my interest in mobile tea kettles, its something that maybe we should look at getting republished. The only diesel locos that are difficult to model at the moment are the De and Dj. The De's problem is that there is no mechanism with bogies even within co-ee of being correct, while the Dj can be built, but needs access to a milling machine and a steady nerve. I once did some frames for Kiwibonds, literally with my heart in my throat as I couldn't imaging what the hell I was going to do if I broke them.
We are also fortunate that the various rail owners of our system in the last 15 years have just rebuilt old loco's so that the basic plans are still usable, its just the extra humps and bumps that need to be checked. As for the paint schemes, one could make quite a few models before having to do the same scheme twice. Finally, a note for Kiwirail. For god sakes take the crayons away from whoever is coming up with this, or up their meds or something. Its almost a reverse fruit salad, but not in a good way.

'Southern pacific meets flying tomato with a side of salad?'

No comments: