Friday, January 22, 2010

A Man, A Plan, a canal.....

(And now I've got "Panama" by Van Halen in my head)

Am_Fet writes: Sorry for the cryptic heading, but this post is all thoeretical at the moment....or at least until the Nelson Branch of the WCW get involved.

One of my benefactors recently passed onto me a Red Cross Care Parcel with an SD9 locomotive chassis in it (I am very grateful for that kindness). Needless to say, its currently earmarked for a DC...or that DAR.... "Oh, and see if you have a use for this", he said, tossing in a Life Like GP18. Fat Chance, I thought to myself, then thought of maybe doing a Lehigh Valley / Conrail patched unit (my other love):


However, while cogitating in the shower one morning (Just like the Head Druff...maybe its a genetic thing? We do share the same parents...), the idea of redesigning a stillborn Sn3½ branch layout I drew up ages ago for Nz120 came to mind....all well and good, but it needed a small branchline locomotive to serve it...A Wf would be superb, but the running qualities of the Head Druff's Wf-a-building was still unproven....A DJ would be good.....I wonder....GP 18 chassis....knock of the fuel tank....Hmmmm....

Although not quite running through the house naked yelling Eureka, I did sit down quite smartly at my work table with the GP18 and a ruler.

First (Ladies and Gentlemen), Exhibit A: A DJ drawing.



The important dimensions for me were the overall wheelbase, followed by the bogie wheelbase. These scale out to 66.7mm overall and 18.4mm bogie. So (tentatively), I measured the model....And got 59mm overall and 18mm bogie....CLOSE ENOUGH!!! When you think the overall is only missing 3.5mm from the centre each side, it aint all that bad at all.


The Brains Trust were duly consulted, and all agreed I might be onto something. Highlights were the availibility (not great, but better than the Kato Japanese Bo-Bo Bo chassis), ease of getting parts, plus those ultra thin hoods...a Dj would fit most snuggly over it....plus the Head Druff pointed out you could probably stretch the overall wheelbase out if you were anal enough...I dont think I'll bother.

However, as in most things the Waihaorunga Creek Workshops gets involved in, its already turning into an international affair; Last time I looked, the chassis was to be rebuilt by the Underframe Wonks in Nelson (removal of the fuel tank which luckily unscrews and addition of another bogie), the footplate was being done in Lower Hutt by photon laser while the hoods and cab were being designed in Long Island, NY by imperial stormtroopers. With any luck, the bits may even go together with a minimal amount of fettling.


Hmmm.....DJ's.....

Postscript: The heading..."A man, a plan, a canal...Panama".....Its a Palindrome....Google it if you arent sure....

2 comments:

beaka said...

I brought 4 of these GP18's for $30.00 each from local hobbie shop early last year. the last of his stock of 40 he imported. initially I was just going to paint them in NZR colours and use with some japanese rolling stock that looks like NZR. however now that I am involved in NZ120 , I wasn't sure what to do with them. I had never thought of a DJ. brilliant idea! I will add them to my new projects box.

Amateur Fettler said...

Wait long enough and there may even be some tops to put on them!!