Friday, May 01, 2009

Whats in the scale

After the title on Darryls last post, I think he should get a new career writing tabloid headlines.

Tonight it's time for another one of those wandering posts about what the scale really needs to move forward.

-More exposure in the modeling press. This basically equates to articles in the Journal.I guess some more pictures of layouts (though I don't know how many good layouts are really out there).

-More kits available. We currently have the soon to be re-released Trackside range, and some etched kits from Etchcetera. I was posed the question this week "why are there not more etched kits' and the answer is I have no idea. It seems to be a perfect medium for diesel loco's, as shown by the Da and Dc kits which are beautifully done. In Britain its a very commonly used medium for a wide variety of models in all the main scales. I'm not sure what the problem is as it's no more expensive than doing anything else.

-A complete lack of Steam kits. Lets face it, even the most rabid modern image modeler has a secret hankering for a kettle to run on his layout (even if they would only admit it under torture, which as we all know is perfectly acceptable in these circumstances). the commercial mechs have the wrong size wheels, and there is a chance for someone to seize the bull by the horns and build one from scratch. The price of said kit might well put the majority off it though.

Personally , after much thought, I think the scale needs more cowbell. Now where did my beer go.

3 comments:

sxytrain said...

Can you get a sound file in a DCC decoder for 'cowbell'?

beaka said...

yes,but you have to smack the decoder with a stick, as hard as the gentleman on the video is doing. also best done before you touch any beer, otherwise you end up with Repetitive strain injury, marks all over your table and no idea where your decoder has disappeared to!

Electronic Kiwi said...

It might sound a bit soft, but a sense of community could help a lot. Its good to see and hear about other people doing NZ120 stuff on this blog - it is inspiring. The recent articles in the Journal about etching have me thinking I can do that, and the recent entries here about resin casting have me putting that on my to-do list as well.