Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wagony again

Just for something different.....


I managed to get hold of some W meat wagon plans early this week. These were a reasonably common sight moving through Paekakariki going either to or from further north to the Wellington docks. I was lucky enough to get plans for W5-W11 and instead of trying to choose I figured I'd build one of each for variety. I cut all the sides to shape in one hit, while being careful to record which ones were going to be which.

First up were W's 5 and 6. These had a gabled roof that looks like its a separate piece plonked on the top of the body. This sounded like a bit much filing on a flat piece of plastic to get the slopes right so I instead did the following. The sides and ends were cut from pre-scribed evergreen styrene. the ends had the roof contour cut into them, and then the roof was applied using 1/2mm plasticard. I then glued some very thin plasticard at the correct level to create the overhang.

After the glue had set this was then filed back to the roof line to get it right.



Two down, 7 to go.

4 comments:

Electronic Kiwi said...

Have you been playing with your Dremel again, or is that just red paint on your workbench?

Motorised Dandruff said...

As I don't appear to have any fresh links, and a full set of digits, i can only assume its red paint.

As another question, is it just me or do others occasionally find themselves leaking onto models due to poor knife handling skills?

Electronic Kiwi said...

Not just you.

lalover said...

do enough of that at work! Leave it out at home!