Monday, March 23, 2009

No time like the present

Tonights job has involved making a start on the powered bogie. The kit is unpowered and requires a 'donor' to move it. Mine is care of the GP30 bogies I brought a while ago for my Ew project (which died before it even made it to the workbench in its first incarnation). I was just going to thin the plastic frames down and then glue the pewter frames on the outside. However this would have made the bogies about 2mm too wide (note to self; I wonder if theres any way to exorcise the finescale modeler who seems to be lurking in the back of my head!). the answer lies in how Mr Atlas put the bogies together. The pickups collect from the pinpoints on the outside of the wheels, and as long as the central plastic pillar is intact, the metal wipers will hold the wheels in place.

"excuse me but your pickups are showing"

Then its just a case of removing enough metal from the rear of the pweter sideframe and gluing it on.

"only another 5 to go"

2 comments:

Kiwibonds said...

Pweter? What is this pweter of which you speak? Pweter Wabbit?

The finish of the trackside castings was always superb - you used the word 'crisp' which sums it up perfectly.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Hmm, even my spellchecker has given up now.
And stop knocking people with a lispth.