Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday night; Guest workbench.

Fresh from the corners of dingy rooms, cold garages and back sheds everywhere, here's this weeks collection of others models.

First up, from Woodworks comes a conversion of a Japanese model.


"Hauled out the beginnings of two 50' steel cars that I have had hanging around for Donkey's, with a view to getting them finished off. They came from a set of five Tomix Japanese passenger car bodies of various styles. It is a fairly major chop-job - rounding sides and corners off, new roof, vestibules and chassis, not to mention bogies, but at least the windows are near enough with just a little bit of carving with sharp knife - slightly better than starting from scratch. Original example at top, and sides in various states of modification below."

Next up, Russell ventures from the safelands of S scale and has a crack at his first Nz120 kit.


"Well my project on my workbench isn't as difficult as yours, but I've completed the construction phase of my first nz120 kit. Had a bit of spare time before work (evening shift has an upside), so decided to put together a 40' container. Hey presto! Low melt solder later, and its together in about 20 minutes. Longest task, cleaning parts ready to solder. It ain't pretty but its a start. Now off to the paint shop over the weekend."

And last but definitely not least, from the magic workbench of David Weedon, just to show once again how it really should be done.


"I have one of Pats railcar kits. It's assembled to the point of the drive installation. I haven’t found anything suitable yet for the drive as I want a full interior. I have attached a photo of my scratch built railcar which has working head, tail and interior lights. I am thinking of adding sound to it as there’s plenty of room underneath for a speaker."

It should be pointed out that the scratchbuilt railcar was the inspiration for the Trackside version.

Gentlemen, thank you for letting me use your pictures. I'd pay money, but until the blog gets a sponsor (hopefully a brewery :v) then you just have to take gratitude.

1 comment:

ECMT said...

A nice mix of contributions - keep it up guys.
Congrats go to Russell on his first NZ120 kit build.