Monday, January 16, 2012

Tunnel Vision - Revisiting the Broken River Gorge

DB hopes that writing this will spur him into action:

I put a lump of wood up in the sky a while back before becoming distracted by other things, but now that it is winter here up in the Top Half of the planet (albeit the mildest I've ever seen) I need a few indoor projects to get on with. And I wouldn't mind seeing a train run around the room under it's own digital steam either...

The Midland Line is a spectacular piece of railway, with the segment between Springfield and Cragieburn, and more specificly, between the coastal abutments of the Pattersons Creek and Slovens Creek viaducts being the most dramatic. While the area around Staircase and the viaducts are all well known, the few tunnel-encrusted kilometres alongside Broken River are less so - probably due both to their inaccessibility and often being bathed in shadow or tricky light; making photography difficult.

Other than the familiar triple tunnels scene below of course. Unfortunately I couldn't conjure up a train at the time of taking the real picture (but I was tempted to photoshop in my new NZ120 DG nose).

So this is kinda what I'm going for in a representative fashion. Something akin to the second shot I would be very happy with: the tunnel 15-14-13 straight section.

I'd quite like some snow but it's not really in keeping with the rest of the layout. Maybe at the far left end there could be some dregs before going into the tunnel leading to the 'fiddle yard' behind it.

3 comments:

lalover said...

Great pics Mr Bond, would certainly make great scenery for the sky-layout.

Anonymous said...

These loco models you've depicted are exquisite. The digital smoke (diesel exhaust) is well worth photoshopping in. As for the model scenery - it certainly beats my efforts. Well done!

regards
0-4-4-0T

MaverickNZ said...

It would definately make a great shelf layout and would really show off the scale of the scenery