Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Back from the dead... Broken River Quickie

DB Says:

Did I miss much while I was away?

Something strange happened over the weekend. It started with us deciding to replace the takeout-food-stained carpet in the TV room and the sickly green carpet in the main bedroom and the train room.

This would mean having to actually clean up the train room which (as you may have noticed) for the past year has been barely enter-able. Which I duly did.
Holy crap! It's clean! Love that carpet.

And while I'm moving out all those lengths of wood, wouldn't it be an idea to throw one of them up along the wall and bung some track down onto it? Then we might actually be able to run a few trains around in the near future.

So I duly screwed some of this to some of that to add strength and height, and cut some thin backboard in half and screwed that in and put some brackets up. Thanks to the power of mechanised drills and saws, I had assembled and installed this lump of instalayout foundation in about 10 minutes.


The last two shots are from standing height level and illustrate the benefit of having a stepped baseboard to lift the trains up a little. I have some spare thin backboard, so I might make a taller one to replace this one which is only about 10 inches high overall.

Not bad for a minimal effort!

8 comments:

Motorised Dandruff said...

Like Mr Bond i too spent an hour in the train room tonight. unlike Mr bond, I have zip to show for it. 40 power feeds and 10 point check rails, while quite important, just doesn't get the juices flowing like putting in some new track.

Am_Fet said...

Ummm....I Powered up CAD and drew a few lines??

Anonymous said...

It's funny how Mr Bond has revisited the extremely enjoyable back to basics principal. Sometimes it's all too easy to get to do the right thing and forget why we enjoy the hobby (lifestyle?!?) in the first place...

EF30163 said...

note to myself - if I ever build a layout above eye level I have to paint the underside of models I build... ;-)

cheers...
steve w.

beaka said...

the big advantage of a layout this height is that if you get flooding, you don't have to worry about your good work being inundated with silt and mud,etc. not such a good move however if you live in chch. i hope you are considering something like perspex or similar along the front of modules. i am so clumsy, i would probably knock some of my rolling stock off ledge while uncoupling,etc. a heightened version of a segway would be a great way to operate this layout and follow the train around on its circuit. BTW love the DJ.

Kiwibonds said...

we just missed hurricane Irene the other week (we were in the evacuation zone and had salt water to within a few feet of the house) but all the while I knew my trains were safe...

Yes, undersides of equipment are about to be more important!

Glen Anthony said...

Nice work Darryl.
Now if you glue up some scenery photos on those backdrops; like mountains etc taken from your many helicopter rides, you'll have an instant layout.
When viewed from below you won't be able to tell that there isn't any scenery up there... well a person of average height like the rest of us won't...LOL.

Am_Fet said...

Actually, he's got a point....a scenery-less railway!!