Sunday, January 08, 2012

Dec 2011 NZMRJ Review

DB reviews (and almost kindly for a change):
Now that I am a bona-fide, paid-up, full-card-carrying member of the NZ Model Railway Guild once more, let me post this untimely review of the Dec 2011 Journal. Which to be fair, did arrive in Dec 2011. Unlike the US mags, which for some reason are probably issuing the June 2012 edition to the shops as I write this, chocka block with reviews and adverts for models to be released in July 2009...

But where were we... Ah yes, I was pleasantly surprised with this Journal. I must have accumulated 4 or 5 episodes over my current membership stint and I have not reviewed them thus far, firstly because that is normally SeƱor Druff's purview, but also for fear of being revealed as the constant critic that I constantly am.

It's a difficult job being the Journal Editor of course, because even in our teeny, tiny country, we are such a diverse bunch. A wide range of scales, eras, capabilities and interests, the balance of prototype/model, the balance of technical/aesthetic, the balance of rolling stock/infrastructure/layout modeling with technical articles. Then of course there is the main challenge - having a bunch of authors who can produce a steady stream of good quality material: without which the mag has no option but to become the Editor's private periodical to fill it's pages. Given all these challenges, the Journal has done very well over the 30 years I've been looking at it. Incredibly well given the small size of our modeling population.

Given all this diversity and my usual grumpiness about such matters, I suppose it shouldn't surprise you that my numbers rarely come up. Indeed for me the past year has provided few article oases in a desert of content. A nice Ab on a bridge scene, a CB plan. I'm sure there were others that don't come to mind.

The Dec 2011 edition, however, did float my boat. How could it not grab me from the very first impression - a tasty shot of a nicely detailed DJ which looks a little different from the norm. Yes it's completely scratchbuilt by Brendon Lean. Splendidly detailed, painted and weathered, and with just the subtlest hint of (and this is entirely the wrong phrase) "almost perfection" that proves that this is a model lovingly built from scratch, not just some guy slapping a kitset together or diddling something up on a computer. Nice to see such a beautiful handbuilt model from this dude who is churning out some really nice work. The best model I've seen in a long time.

Nice pics of some Auckland Subbie cars from Mr Palmer with impressive (even under the cruel close-up microscope) hand cut flush glazing.

Drewry DSA - another bloody nice model of a yummy prototype. Thoughtfully planned, detailed, CADed, cast up into a kitset, and nicely photographed too, as is most of the Journal. Certainly a strong contender for Model Of The Journal, maybe the strongest, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give the nod to Mr Lean for not using a computer to make his. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, its just harder to get all the bits straight and lined up perfectly without one.

A fairly technical article on producing plans from pictures - I think I need to read this a few more times to fully get it, but the concept seems very useful. This is followed on by the plan generated from the theory - the Bush Tramway Club's Goodman battery loco - and a matching article. Articles on obscure and esoteric prototypes has been very Journaleque for a long time now. I suppose someone is interested in tunnel profile cars and the like, but I'm afraid it's not me. I must admit to reading the Goodman article twice though even though it's not really my cup of cider.

The Merrijigs sawmill - I liked this a lot. A small, simple layout, nicely detailed and photographed. OK so it used Pugs rather than an A or a D or a Cb or some hokey bush tractor, but who cares. The scenery, detailing, weathering and more importantly, the overall effect is just stunning. Quintessential NZ in a few square feet. If this isn't inspiration to get out of the proverbial Modeler's Armchair I don't know what is.

Track Cant - Now there's a subject that is guaranteed a yawn or two, but no, somehow some more useful info on how that should be modeled. I think I'm on some sort of Journal Crack.

Container plans! More modernish-image content! Even in NZ120! Yes! I love these 'wagon' articles and plans. I see a GSY in my future...

Most of the second half of the book I'll pass on, although there is a piece on model photography at the end if you are into that sort of thing. And I am. Although I learned everything I know from this amazing post and this follow up one.

So all in all, a good read this edition with more useful and interesting content than about a decade's worth of the Model Railroader. Not so much for you people interested in hot-water-powered transport other than a very nice pic of journal fixture Wa 289 in the photography article, but perhaps your numbers will come up next time.

Reviewer's recommendation: go out and git yerself one.

2 comments:

Amateur Fettler said...

Thats not a mug from the Porirua Convention, is it??

Kiwibonds said...

Why yes it is, young Fettler.