Thursday, September 23, 2010

Care package

Also in the care package I received from our resident globe trotter last week were some models of interest.


A Clyde Da from what appears to be an early Etch cetera test etch, as it has a few differences to the pair that I have assembled. Most noticeable is the width of the handrails, and also the rain gutters on the cab roof. Mr Bond had started to model Clyde Da 345 as it appeared at the end of its working life, but the project stalled last millenia on his workbench. Not sure how I will go about completing it, and it may get full side skirts fitted as well to backdate it to the 60's. Or maybe I can knock it into a phase 3 Da, which might be a better bet.


A blast from the past. One of the first batch of Uk's that I built in the early 1990's while domiciled in Dunedin. the underframe was 2mm plasticard. The twist locks were just plastic squares with a saw cut through them. The Containers were cast resin from a John Rappard mold. The signs are hand painted. I'm not quite sure why I have been re-awarded this model, so I'll have to hang onto it for a few years before I can pass it back.

(And beginners please note; we all had to start somewhere, and we got to our current skill leve by a lot of trial and mostly eror.)

3 comments:

sxytrain said...

Geez. Did Bondy bleed on the Da to get the finished look?

Motorised Dandruff said...

He has been known to go a wee bit overboard with tools....

Kiwibonds said...

That's blood sweat and tears, my friends, with a little wash of primer to seal the thing.

Rhys promised to not post a picture of that awful model.... I really went 'underboard' on getting the cab straight despite that blob of solder filler on the cab roof.

The handrails are pretty big too - I hadn't realised how big they were until Rhys kindly pointed it out - maybe this was one of the earlier editions of the etch, but the body went together well and i do like my undersill air pipes on this side and the cable runs on the other. The rear extension is just plastic, but it looks the part, if lacking the nice etched deck tread.

I'm surprised how bad the headlights look up close too, I guess I should have filed the blobby back off them.

APPLAMM - the tasty fruity spread alternative to mint sauce