Saturday, July 03, 2010

AO4: All drama and no action

DB says:

Well what a few weeks we've had.

My elderly bumbling neighbour inadvertantly burned out my other neighbour's house while attempting to fix her plumbing with a blowtorch (after falling down our stairs two years ago, slipping into his pool, falling off a ladder, writing off his car in an unusual accident in front of the post office last year and driving down one of the divided motorways for 9 miles in the wrong direction three months ago. But be that as it may).

All this excitement, coupled with an overdose of work, visiting rellies, the soccer, and the oppressive heat and humidity of an early-running summer has meant things have been pretty quiet in the train room of late.

From time to time I've applied some Testors filler and fine sandpaper to my AO car master, which has slowly been evolving towards acceptability. This model seems to have been going on forever, which for a modeller as impatient as me is both rare and frustrating, especially as this isn't exactly a fancy schmancy item.

My modeling runs on momentum. Once I stop it's hard to get me started again, so best not to stall even when burbling along in first gear. With that in mind I stuck the thing in an old Kato clear plastic box and poured some rubber over it yesterday. It will be interesting to see how a resin copy comes out as I haven't made something this big since my first dabbles in NZ120 molding way back in the Crustacious Period.


Apologies for another cameraphone pic, but as they say "The best camera there is? The one you have with you when you need one!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

where do we buy the rubber and the resin here in NZ ? is there some good place with reasonable prices for this stuff ?

cheers...
steve w.

"orperi"

Magikan said...

Looking at Kiwibonds photo I suspect he is using Silastic J moulding rubber.
However I would recommend using Silastic 3481, while it costs (probably) twice the price of J, it is a lot more flexible so the rubber moulds don't split and last a lot longer.
Silastic rubber products are available from www.electropar.co.nz in Auckland and Lower Hutt, sorry I don't have any prices. Another tip, they quite often have time expired rubber kits that can't be sold to or used by their electrical clients but are perfectly good for what we need and at a considerably discounted price.
For resin I use Alumalite resin, this is available from www.acornmodels.co.nz in Christchurch.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info Bruce, another link I've received is http://www.topmark.co.nz/articlelive
cheers...
steve w.

"ressecti"

lalover said...

Are you casting in clear resin DB??

Kiwibonds said...

Hi, ths is some casting rubber sold by Mircomark in the US. Its very flexible and tear resistant. This mold has some undercuts, so the rubber needs to be flexible to get the items out. Click on the 'casting' tag at the left of the MD screen and read from the bottom story up (or hold your computer upside down) to see more experiments in casting and discussions on what is available in NZ(http://motoriseddandruff.blogspot.com/search/label/Casting)

I'm not using clear resin, although that was something I had considered. and maybe something I will consider again... I have some fresh resin arriving today so hopefully will be able to restart experiments soon.

Kiwibonds said...

That link should have an "asting" at the end of it
http://motoriseddandruff.blogspot.com/search/label/Casting

Kiwibonds said...

I guess there is a max length to a word on this! the end should look like:

...blogspot.com/search/label/Casting

Anonymous said...

yeah, use clear resin and cast the Preisers right into the whole thing... ;-)

steve w.

"distsk"drive