Just a quick post as I'm about to head out to make more trackwork at a friends place (S scale unfortunately, but we can't have everything now can we).
The signal boxes were feeling a bit neglected and drafty so i have put the windows in. to do this I've gone down the easiest route and just scribed clear plastic. the main problem was working off a scaled down S plan where for some odd reason the window spacings were not quite right. How do they manage in that scale. Instead I just went back and relied on simple maths to work out where the bars should be. I then scribed the lines onto the plastic sheet. white Acrylic paint was then applied and, while still wet, was wiped off with a cloth. the paint stays (sort of) in the scribed lines, giving the appearance of window bars from a distance.
The results are nowhere near as good as Kiwibonds, but they will do until someone comes up with a set of etched windows.