Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Boys are Back in Town?


DB says: I enjoyed reading this recent post from The Fettler of Amateurs. That day, my mind wandered onto: "so what shape is the scale really in in February 2010?"

Well, we're very fortunate to have had Russell bring Trackside/Trackgang back to life and I hope he's selling boatloads of kits. If I didn't have a million other projects on my list I'd be tempted to pick up one of those railcars. Maybe I will....

On a different plane, NZ120.org and this blog has helped bring an online Fellowship of the Thing together and that has to be good for the scale.

But other than those sparks, in a hobby where people come and go with the changing winds, really, how many active NZ120ers actually are there? Because isn't that what really matters?

For although we've managed to inject a little enthusiasm and generate some interest from the sidelines, there doesn't seem to be that much going on out there in the real NZ120 world. Or is there? I don't visit NZ120.org nearly as often as I should, but I only see a few people there actually 'making models' or layouts . There are a handful of regular commenters on this blog, but I know many of them aren't NZ120 folks - they visit in support or because there are so few venues for the NZ modeler to productively pee away 10 minutes of ones workday surfing the web. Maybe there is more action on the Yahoo Group (feel free to prove me wrong and post a comment here, a picture on NZ120.org, or send Rhys something at the email address at the top of this blog).

I sent some pics to the journal, and I sorta hoped to attend the convention this year, or at least send some models or something over, but that is looking unlikely at this stage. I hope those that do make it can fly the NZ120 flag proudly.

What more could one do? I still think that to really take off, NZ120 needs more, or dare I say 'better', wagon chassis options. The current trackgang offerings aren't an option for Darryl as discussed previously, so I've mainly been Microtrainsing amongst other experiments that you may have read about in earlier postings over the past year. The better my models get (and yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder thank you very much!), the more I'm looking at the Peco and Microtrains underframes they're sitting on with a look of concern. I was surprised how much better the RP bogie sideframes look on the DX than the modded Dash 8 ones. Heck, even that 'finescale' code 55 Peco track is starting to look a little daggy in pictures.

Rambling back to wagons for a second: there are moves afoot to make something that not only looks more prototypical, but it also runs well and is easy to use - myself and the MagicMan are keen to make a correct CAD-mastered one-piece modern image brass bogie available. Other elves and vegetables in the wilderness are pondering a two-to-four-piece 4w chassis. All idiotproof, lookin' good and runnin' fine. Otherwise there's not much point is there?
The hope is that with such chassis options, some of the fence sitters will be tempted to take the plunge, and see just how easy and rewarding NZ120 can be. That is important, because if Rhys wants to go off and play toy soldiers for a while and Darryl moves into a tiny hole with no room for modeling, and... what happens then? Does NZ's most fragile scale go into hibernation again?

Yes, we've got the band back together, but it still feels like we have fewer members than Dire Straits...!

10 comments:

RKBL said...

I May Not have a layout as such but I am building a trackgang Dx, some Ula's, Url's, Lc2's, La's, A Nc, Ks, Ksp, Kst, as well as trying my hand at producing some Sk container wagons from trackgang parts and have a couple of Ia wagons on order from Amettur. Photo's will come when I have finished building the Dx which will be shortly, Just have the long body to glue onto the running bord, steps sand boxes and couplers.

coasterboy said...

I have just got two df kits,some cbs and some ulas from trackgang to build.
A few weeks ago i was thinking about trying to do nzrail in Nn3,then stumbled on to nz120(i must live a sheltered life!).I do wish there was more avialable but im even going to give casting ago to make nz like logging trucks and the like(thatll be a laugh and a half!).If we can get another camera i might grow big enough goolies to show what i end up with.It might not happen over night but it will happen.Oneday.Soon.PS.I said it the other day,this blog and the nz120 site are great IMO.

Anonymous said...

Just started on a .3 mtr wide by 4mtr long layout. I have 1 finished Fiat rail car 3 more in build. 2 Da's 1 Dc 1 Dx, 3 56 ft"s, I have about 20 4 wheelers that are "close" to the right thing. And just cause I like them a blue TGV set.
The main thing Im up to is having the full silver star set layed up for brass etching in the uk.
I think im modeling around the 70s time frame.

sxytrain said...

Interesting question about active modelers. At present I currently have over 40 customers who have invested in Trackgang product online. Most of who have made more than one purchase. A few who have made generous investments. Now, they may not all be 'active' modelers at present with some maybe just collecting for the future, but they're interested in the scale, and may (one day) build a layout. Not everyone is willing to put their cards on the table (so to speak) online either. From my point of view I think the scale is in very positive territory.

scaro said...

Aside from the NZ contingent there are probably 3-4 Australians modelling various narrow gauge prototypes from that country, and an unknown number of Japanese TT9 modellers. Aside from that I am sure it is just the odd individual in the many countries that have a bit of narrow gauge. There's a heck of a lot of narrow gauge out there. I could use the chassis kits; being able to do nice four wheelers would be a nice feature but I reckon it would attract only a few extra modellers at best.

Muir A.N. Mouse said...

What a great response from everybody!
I've given all my NZ120 stuff (a few old kits and bastardised peco/ farish/ spectrum etc and an abundance of track to my brother and I'm pushing him (through this site) to experience the big picture and the sheer quality of NZ120 equipment available.
I'm just too committed to an oddball gauge (am I the only one?)but the construction teachings in here from the Dandruff Llama and the boys have been of immeasurable help.
The photo's are great too!

Anonymous said...

NZ120 is a great scale and if the number of NZ120 group members and postings is any indication, the group is attracting interest. Since i joined in 2007, my count says there have been 49 others. I'm a latecomer to modelling and started my second layout about 6 mths back, a 3.8 by 2.2m, dual level with helix, round the room type layout and i enjoy taking my time with it. I currently have about 26 Trackside / Trackgang kits at various stages and have plans to purchase another 100+ in the years ahead. keep up the blog as it is very inspiring.

Unknown said...

just an observation on possibilities for smooth running, scale underframes for 4 wheelers - it has always struck me as strange that neither SN3.5 or 9MM has really explored fully the UK modeller/manufacturer solution approach to this problem - namely etched,compensated underframes, where the W irons are an integral part of the chassis,(locating the wheels in square & parallel fashion), and the axleboxes are merely cosmetic appendages - this approach is surely a real option for NZ120.

Motorised Dandruff said...

I'm looking into this with the 2mm stuff avalaible. more info as it comes to hand

Southern Rails said...

I have to admit I'm one of the fence sitters. I had an S scale layout but have moved to a house where the best I can do is set up a few pieces of flexi track and run my DC back and forth.
I've always looked to NZ 120 as a solution to my space problems but I've been put off by the look and running qualities of the bogies and underframes of NZ 120 wagons. If plans for modern looking wagon bogies and loco sideframes come to fruition and they're made avaliable to the general public, I'll be one of the first to come across to the dark side.