Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday morning

Well, Auntie Druff doesn't appear to have any questions to answer today, so she can go fishing with a clear conscience.

Spent another session on tracklaying at a friends place yesterday, While in S scale, its still useful to get the technique down pat before doing something really challenging. I also had a couple of chats on the subject with another modeler who was over doing some work on ballasting and painting (when we were allowed to. The ex-school teacher wanted us to keep working quietly on our own). This have helped crystallise a few things in my mind about how to do the job.

The main problem I have been having is how to decide on curve radii through points and around curves. This still seems to be rather subjective, and does involve a lot of careful planning. I've still to solve this one, but I think its one of those things I just need to do. I'm planning to start with the section of track on the south east side of the station as that is all straight with a crossover and another point, so should be relatively simple to start with. The other side of the station is on a curve, and the loco depot will be a real barrel of laughs!

One idea I have had is to draw out the track layout in S scale, mark out all the various important bits (frog and point positions, sleepers etc) get everything sorted out, and then photocopy it down to Nz120. This will keep everything tidier and hopefully allow me to spot problems at the larger scale before they get too bad. And if anyone wants to build a model of Paekakariki in S scale that's ~24' long, drop me a message

2 comments:

muir anon said...

I have a question thats of absolutely no relevance whatsoever:
On your steamers undergoing some kind of anthromorphology at present, what were/are you going to do about things like funnels, sand boxes, things-on-top?
AND what would you consider to be the smallest NZR locomotive you'd build/own?
Have fun scaring the fish.

lalover said...

SO 'S' scale dos have some uses.. :-)