Saturday, December 19, 2009

What colour cayon?

I've been doing a wee bit more work on the signal boxes just putting on some of the bracing outside. As I was sitting at the work bench the other night my brain (which was not really involved with any other important tasks) started wondering what colour I should paint it. I guessed it would be whatever colour the paint colour central committee had decided was accurate for the NZR 'salmon' from the 50's. last night I had a look at the colour pictures I had. Imagine my surprise...

Duck egg blue? WTF~!!!!!!

Now this is a bit of a surprise to me, and I'm hoping that one of the more knowledgeable readers can point me in the right direction for a colour match. Otherwise I'll have to assume the position in front of the colour wonks and ask just whats going on here...
The pictures comes from the Paekakariki historical society site which has all sorts of goodies including some articles from the observer)

6 comments:

lalover said...

Interesting how that point behind the Martissa, from the yard seems to wander off a way from the main and towards the main road!

Anonymous said...

That picture has quite a dark blue cast through it. I think you will find that it was a much brighter blue in real life. They also did bright greens in that scheme too.

Have a look at the book 'Over the garden wall" on the Otago Central line, it has colour photos in the back of the blue and greens used.
The NZ reference section in the major library of most cities should have a copy. But I don’t know if Nelson is classed as a major city. :-)
So maybe I will have to email you a scan.

Glen Anthony

Motorised Dandruff said...

Nelson a major city is a good question. I think its similar to Timaru but with more artists and the weather is better.

I thought I had a copy of 'Over the garden wall' but it might be somewhere else. I seem to recall the colour but it always struck me as being a greyish colour.

Anonymous said...

Alas I am getting old (happens to us all) and my memory is failing me.

Yes there are colour photos in "Over the garden wall", but they are mostly green and yellow stations. The only blue one is not a good example for colour.

I did find a green signal box in "South Island Main Trunk" page 60.

And then I remembered the Mina station was pale blue, and I have photos of it at Weka Pass Railway, before being repainted. I will scan and email to you tomorrow.

Glen.

Southern Rails said...

I had never heard of the Paekakariki website until I saw your latest installment. A very good site and invaluable tool for someone modelling Paekak.
Can't wait to see your recreation in action.

lalover said...

Otiria station and goods shed were in that blue up until their demolition as was Kaikohe goods shed, and possibly Kawakawa station building 1980's.