Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Set Lasers to "Explode"...

Am_Fet writes: Mostly everyone I talk to in my close circle of associates here in the capital has lamented the fact that they havent had the time to really do anything over the last month as we wind down (up?) to the end of the year. Even Cabbage (He of the "Laser Wagon in a Weekend") already has his work calender booked through to April and has been able to measure the time spent at his workbench this month in minutes rather than days.

However, a brief spurt over the last two days has allowed for a few meetings plus deliveries of the latest output from our "Mr Laser".

Just to show some of us are more prone to mistakes than others, this is a J wagon I'm playing around with for the Head Druff. Numerous issues here, but I've found my main problem from a personal perspective is trying to shoot all the design bugs in my head before it goes to print, and then losing interest 3/4 of the way through a project because there is nothing to show for my time (to whit, the OM, VRB, etc...). So, this is a first run after 30 minutes drawing and pondering (and yelling "Damn the Torpedoes!").



First issue was Mr Laser doing it in 1.0mm styrene instead of 0.5 (communications at fault there). This resulted in the laser needing more power to do the cut, hence it "blew out" (to use the technical term) some of the parts that were stacked beside each other. The doors suffered the most, followed by the sides. However, the planking and ends worked okay, so we are on the right track.



Cabbage has put forward the plan that it will work better in 0.4 wood, and so thats what we'll do in the new year.

In other news from the Hutt Valley Car and Wagon Works, I've got a ZH in my bag to assemble over Xmas, lalover also has one to try (an official convert from 3/16ths?), A 3/16ths ZG was delivered to Skippy to try, Drew has 3 (Yes! 3!) 1:24 La 6 tops to assemble after another mis-communication with Mr Laser (not that he's complaining though!) with possibly more designs in that scale to follow and a Xmas coffee with the erstwhile Squadron Leader will see the undergubbins for the ZG emerge as a 9mm UK for his layout (again in the New Year).

Seeing as we are now at the end of the year (and this will probably be my last post before 2010), can I just note how far we've all come this year. A big thanks to you all for staying involved and feeding your enthusiasm back into the scale. I would especially like to give a special mention to Wes and the Head Druff for their time in making sure the scale has a "Shop Window" on the web, and to Russell for his continuing work with TrackGang. And with the new projects currently underway (such as the DS and DSC), I honestly think the next year will be a pearler!

Finally, can I close by wishing you all the best for the holiday season and a safe and productive new year.

1 comment:

woodsworks said...

! I'm about to launch a 9mm scale J-wagon kit at my local laser cutter, to be done in solid wood and ply, and had thoughts of throwing an NZ120 version onto the 0.4mm ply sheet....great minds and all that. I don't bother with styrene, local machine can't do a good enough job, unfortunately.