Wednesday, December 02, 2009

For the love of trains

DB returns to the blogozone today after a few days researching trainy attitudes around the world, and struggles to understand why in NZ and Aus rail hobbyists are held in such derision.

In the US, being a railwayman is still a noble profession and nobody seems to think it terribly odd that I spend my holidays in far-off places taking pictures of trains.
In the UK, the hobby takes a mildly eccentric slant, but take a look at the rail section in the magazine rack below (not all are visible either)...

James May, one of the Top Gear presenters, has a book out on breaking toy-related Guinness World Records. In the one section involving certain products from Mr and Mrs Hornby, he proudly states that he's always had a model railway and while he's not interested in scenery, he loves it for the mechanical and puzzle solving aspects. Every Christmas he brings the set out and has a play. His mates find out and come over for a wee look. They have a few beers and everybody feigns indifference while playing trains until three o'clock in the morning.I was also surprised to see in a display of 12 'suggestions for Christmas' at this bookshop, one was a big hard-bound tome recalling the author's golden days of trainspotting in the 1960s.

In the transport section, on top of the standard rail fare there were two similar books. That's three books chocka with stories of railfan adventures by train, foot and car interspersed with pictures of anorak-clad boys and young men clutching pencils and notebooks on platforms all over the UK.

Cripes. If someone in NZ published such a book, parents would be warning their children to steer well clear of anyone thumbing through its pages. You're almost embarassed to tell workmates what your hobby is. Motorists can't resist honking and presenting a twin digital salute while you stand at the side of the road taking pictures of passing trains.

Yet still people seem to secretly enjoy the models at exhibitions.... So why the attitude, NZ?

Freaky broad gauge EMD in Ireland.

7 comments:

Amateur Fettler said...

Its even worse if you work for the company...just ask Drew! You really have to "hide your light under a bushel" when you are at work. I'm often asked "Are you a Foamer?" to which I reply "No, I'm a well informed employee".

I think its a hangover from when the Yanks ran the show (hence the "Foamer" term), and I've heard its not considered good form to be an enthusiast and work for the railways at the same time in the States...almost like a Protestant ethic that says you're not allowed to enjoy your job...

beaka said...

intrigued by your first photo.is it a N & W J loco. any idea when it was taken.
I agree with your comments.my wife can't understand my interest especially if it involves stopping on the side of the road for photo of a frt train.

Kiwibonds said...

Norfolk and Western J 611 indeed, taken last week in Roanoke at the Virginia Museum of Transport. A few more here: http://www.kiwibonds.com/2009NovRoanoke/AFrame.html

lalover said...

I blame M Lush for the present prevailing attitude!

Think its model making in general that there is an attitude.

"Grown men playing with model trucks...."

Yet look at exhibitions around here and the numbers they attract from all walks of life!

Kiwibonds said...

Certainly NZ's attitudes to people interested in trains were around at least twenty years before Mr Lush put his show on the telly. As for modeling in general, I can't comment.

That's a show that I must admit I liked a lot. I skip over many of the more eccentric NZ personalities (although the series would never have been made without them I guess), and the foaming railway photographers (actors I hear) was pretty dumb - he could have saved some money by going to ferrymead or motat to capture some real-life weirdos, but also some sensible, normal people who also happen to have have a passion for trains.

And maybe that's the problem. I'm sure every hobby has its share of urine-soaked paedophiles wearing strange hats, its just that our hobby seems to be the poster-child for such, while the normals keep themselves as well hidden as we can...

Ben Scaro said...

After years of exposure to the Aussie variety of anti-railfan derision, I'd always imagined paedophilia to be a *far* more socially acceptable pursuit than model trains.

In Melbourne, gricers, foamers, whatever, attract the name 'gunzels' which is allegedly derived from the Yiddish for a gosling, the term being applied to slightly built, effeminate males.

I resent this, as I can fill out a cocktail frock as amply as the next man.

Which is I assume why I spent more time living in Sydney than Melbourne . . .

Hmm, on second thoughts, I don't think I'm helping my case, so I'll shut up now.

Kevin said...

I promise you railfans are way more derided in the UK than here where noone seems to bat an eyelid. Mind you, I found that it was only when people didn't know that the proverbial was taken; once I stood up and squeezed out of the fiddle yard so to speak it was amazing how many of my colleagues had a hidden train interest that it was now ok to admit to.