Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wf revisited

Here's a project I have not looked at for a long time, plus its a steam loco to boot so is something completely different to those boxes I've been doing. I've had some problems coming to terms with the fact that the wheelbase isn't quite right. While my inner finescaler was otherwise engaged I had another look at the plan and after 5 minutes decided on a course of action. I discovered that if I lined up the center drivers then the lead bogie was in about the right place, and I could probably trim a bit of the weight at the front to get the tanks in roughly the right place.
I also cut the top clips holding the motor in (which I had previously so industriously whittled down), as I had noticed that there was probably enough metal left to hold the motor in place. luckily I was proved correct. However there is still a bit much of the motor poking out, and I may have to fudge things by creating a belpaire style firebox

I then decided to have a go at installing the front headstock and associated top plate. The headstock was cut out from the plan, a bit of plasticard was used to mount it at the correct height on the existing frame, and then the top plate was fudged to fit between the headstocks and the cylinders.


Then the downside to the evening. The valvegear is held together by weak plastic pins which keep popping out. Without noticing, I had done this and lost the 3mm bit between the crosshead and the droplink next to the cylinders. I've since had several separate goes totaling 2 hours crawling around on the floor looking for this bit, which seems to have now evaded my best efforts at recapture. I don't think I'm able to fabricate a replacement, so the loco will have to run forever with one side facing the room, and the other hidden away, unless a minor miracle occurs an this bit turns up.

Bugger

1 comment:

Woodsworks said...

You have reminded me of an idea I had several months ago after experiencing a similar problem, to PAINT MY WORKBENCH AND WORKSHOP FLOOR PALE GREY - this makes it far easier to spot the tiny parts, when they rest on a uniformly matt, pale grey backdrop :D . I'll see if I can chase up some spares for you from my collection of wrecked 2-6-2's over the weekend. Oh, and by the way, I have found that an M1 screw as supplied by NorthYard is an excellent replacement for the press-fit crank-pins on these locos, without needing to tap the hole first, just line up and carefully drive in. Haven't checked head clearance yet, but as I am throwing away the valve gear and starting again, I can design to suit.