Thursday, December 03, 2009

Knocking it up

Lalover asked "So do you scribe the weatherboards? or just coat with a thin layer of paint?

Rather than just throw off a pithy one liner in the comments section, here is the more full story.

After I cut out all the windows I then set about embossing the weatherboard with a pen. Nothing special, just if you can find one at home. Using a ruler as a guide I ran the pen quite heavily over the marked weatherboard breaks. Not much more to say about it really.


To add the raised detail around the windows I used a mixture of paper and card. The card was cut into thin strips and glued onto the marked areas for window sills. The paper was cut to the outside dimensions of the frames and glued in place. When dry it was cut out from the inside to give a slightly raised frame.


(I know you can get all this stuff from Trackgang, but I'm doing a budget model making process here, just to show that you don't have to spend money to get a good looking model, which I think that the main stream magazines forget sometimes. Don't let this stop you from shopping at Trackgang though))

One side and end were glued to each other and left to dry. I then cut out a floor piece and glued it into position, making pencil marks on the inside wall where it was going to sit. The second wall/side assembly was then glued into place, and the mismatches were not that horrendous.

The outside balcony was cut to size and boards were scribed into the top as this will be quite visible on the finished model I didn't bother with the inside floor as it won't be that visible. It was glued into place and then the outside end wall was added.

And repeat and we have the basis for the north and south box.


I will probably look at adding some strengthening to the inside of the wall as they are a bit flexible at the moment, and when I paint them at the end its going to warp to crap.

1 comment:

lalover said...

"Pithy" I thought it was a good lead in !!! :-) and you used it so well!

My next "Pithy" question...

Does the pen leave a prominent line? would not a blunt knife be better??