Thursday, December 17, 2009

Only 100 sleeps to go

To the convention of course.

While I myself will not be present in body, many of you will be making the trek, possibly even adorning yourselves in tribal colours (just please no hats, the hats wearers are just a tad sad. there, I've said it out loud).

One thing I would suggest is that everyone start thinking about what they are going to enter in the competitions. We need a big showing here to show that the scale is resurgent. I'm planning to send some models down with friends to enter.
The more popular categories tend to be overloaded with S and 9mm modelers, and given the detail problems that we face its almost impossibly to compete with them on an even basis. However, using the scales advantages to the full I would suggest that trains or scenes would be a better idea.

Maybe we should start a thread on the NZ120.org site? Or does everyone prefer to play secret squirrels?

UPDATE: the rules for the competitions and sundry data can be found here

9 comments:

outbackiwi said...

Could you not suggest to the organizer to run a section for nz120

Motorised Dandruff said...

the convention has always been a free for all, any scale of gauge.
I don't think its a big problem, just that some scales have advantages over others.
For some odd reason S scale tends to take out the top awards in locomotives, where you would have thought that the 9mm guys would have a head start. maybe no one is making new 9mm locos any more.

sxytrain said...

There are trophy's specifically awarded in scale. I may be interested in sponsering a trophy for nz120. This could possibly be on the bases of most points scored for an nz120 scale model entry in any catergory. Would that be an incentives for nz120 modellers to enter the competitions?

Motorised Dandruff said...

You would have to check with the organisers but it would be an idea.

weeduggie said...

Good suggestions on this - even if we each bring a model or two for display, that will increase the scale profile - I hope to have a "Pendarves" module with some stuff on it to plug into grahams ones - I think the SIG can probably usefully forward some suggestions to NZAMRC about a 120 scale competiton - may be keen to also sponsor an award, although not keen to encourage mere "pot-hunters" into the fold - more something along the lines of "contribution to the progress of NZ120 modelling"
also a good idea re a forum topic on NZ120 link - "what I am bringing to Chch " maybe???

Kevin Prince said...

I tried to send a comment last night but it seems not to have arrived.

Just a wee reminder that nz120 is perfectly suited to the A3 competition should you feel the need to step outside the Association rules and entries are unlimited so drop me an email with your intentions and I'll ensure that sufficient table space is available(mr45144@xtra.co.nz).

Cheers

kev

Motorised Dandruff said...

If you have a look at the awards the cups tend to be for specific things. I would have thought an NZ120 cup for the model in the scale with the highest number of points in any catagory would be about right.

Kevin, I suggested that everyone bring along an A3 layout a long time ago, and its morphed into the more flexible freemo set up that we have.

woodsworks said...

I am hoping to be able to bring along a heavily modified Bachmann Light Mountain posing as a J-class loco, possibly with some 50ft steel cars created from Tomix?/Greenmax? - I cannot remember what brand they are, the box is long gone - Japanese passenger car kits. Some accurate NZ120 Rapid Prototyped freight bogies are in the works, and I have decided to run my RP 4-wheel wagon chassis as well; As the creator, I may well be allowed to enter them into a competition, but even if not, they'll be sure to attract attention.

Graham said...

hopefully i'll have my 56ft coaches done with the ski train express parked at a station