Saturday, June 04, 2011

Saturday morning

Its been a while since I've written on of these, probably because there has been a bit more modeling going on recently.

last week I found a book on trademe that I had not seen before, Jack Mahoneys 'New Zealand Railway Memories'. This is from his collection of photos taken over a very wide time span. This span does not extend to the diesel age (well, only just with 1 picture of an EE Df).

What I was pleasantly surprised about was that there was not a lot of pictures that I had seen before. I've read quite a few books and magazines, and when I pick up a new one its normally a case of 'seen it, seen it, seen it new, seen it...' Now, climbing on one of my favorite hobby horses, I know that there are a vast number of photos out there in collections, and indeed in the various archives. Why do we keep seeing the same pictures over and over again? Is it because Geoff Churchman is involved in most of them and he either has limited access to the archives (through financial or other reasons), or that there are photos that he really likes and keeps putting in. Or maybe he just has a short memory?

Anyway, the book has provided an interesting couple of evenings diversion. There are quite a few pictures which gives one ideas for small 'vignettes' which I really must sweep under the rug as there is too much work to do on the large layout.

Also, from the painting files. The rookie mistake here is not weathering the top and the bottom at the same time. You would think that those resposible would be better organised.

2 comments:

Am_Fet said...

I do admit to checking out 4012 last night cos I didnt believe the photo!!

On the question of collections, I believe it really is a case of who you know. The publishers for Railfan have access into a veritable treasure trove of pictures from different people to illustrate the historical articles. In fact, you could almost say that if you cant find any photos of your favourite line, just offer to write an article on it...you'll be surprised at what comes out! I know I was...

I have a G Churchman book somewhere that is really let down by its contemporary photos, mainly because he relied on one oldish photographer who doesnt really have much of a clue on how to frame a shot...(you may know which one I'm talking about).

Veirtypo - A German Proofreader

Anonymous said...

I personally would like to see more 'technical' publications - a lot of what is published now is okay, some with good detail - but I switch off a bit when it comes to the "old trains in NZ" or "life on the main trunk" type of book - I'd like to see something like "pioneer diesels" or "EMD in NZ", something along the lines of Ian Allen publications.
Some articles on locomotives written here are excellent, but most things in books seem to be a repeat of what was in the other previous book etc...
Consider a publication by NZ Railfan "Pioneer diesels" with basically a collection of the articles from the magazine - the 88 seater, De, Da etc, just altogether and available in a book...