Sunday, June 05, 2011

Book Ideas

Following up on a comment on yesterdays post on books.

I personally would like to see more 'technical' publications - a lot of what is published now is okay, some with good detail - but I switch off a bit when it comes to the "old trains in NZ" or "life on the main trunk" type of book - I'd like to see something like "pioneer diesels" or "EMD in NZ", something along the lines of Ian Allen publications.
Some articles on locomotives written here are excellent, but most things in books seem to be a repeat of what was in the other previous book etc...
Consider a publication by NZ Railfan "Pioneer diesels" with basically a collection of the articles from the magazine - the 88 seater, De, Da etc, just altogether and available in a book...

This has struck me as being an interesting idea, and also quite an obvious one. I can see some problems with this, like getting the individual authors to agree to it (as they still hold the overall IP) and the photograph copyright holders. however I would really like to buy collections of the Railfan articles, possibly with the addition of some plans and some detail photos.

Lets take this a step further. how about a bundling up of another series into something like North island and South island branch lines. Again the addition of track plans for some of the stations, and possibly some building plans would be nice.

There may well be a market for this sort of thing. the British railway press seems to survive publishing books with very specific. One only has to look at the list published by the Oakwood Press to see that people will indeed buy anything.

7 comments:

Magikan said...

I don't know that the author IP issue would be that much of a problem, when someone writes an article for Railfan they are paid for it and in return NZ Railfan gets ownership of the copyright of all content published.
I'll mention the book concept to the powers that be next time I'm talking to him.

Anonymous said...

I think the in-depth station idea is excellent. I've gotten very frustrated lately of finding a quarter of a great article when the other parts are who knows where. One could say the little southern press book(lets) are along the idea - but like railfan - makatote viaduct = 17 pages (how many viaducts and tunnels are there in NZ?) 11 pages solely on steamer whistles... I'd find more but I lose magazines too easily...

I'm just skimming through my Ian Allen of Pioneer Diesels (about pilot scheme lemons) and it averages about 5-6 pages per class (lot's of lemons in the early days wasn't there) nice quality B&W pics of the respective classes, e.g NBL type 2 - 12 good pics 1/2 page size - 6 1/2 pages written - books divided up into 9 chapters including fore-runners and other lemons. Half of it's already been written - pioneers diesels? EMD in NZ? The RM railcars? Norm Cameron seemed to get a lot of good info about the H's and where they worked - that goldmine of books sitting in silverstream gotta have stuff in it for the steamer dudes...
on a technical note - my lifelike plastic chassis SD7 has given up the elctrical ghost - it's got an old resin Dc top on it, and I want to give it some new undies - are the Atlas SD7's good? :)

Motorised Dandruff said...

I've been slowly building up my collection of railfasn over the years, and have now an almost complete collection back to 2000, with a smateringh before then. however I still can't remember which mag the particular article is in.

Re the Ian Allen series, I think that it sounds a good idea. I'd like to see is couple of pages of plans as well.

Anonymous said...

'on a technical note' - Atlas or Kato SD7/9 or Atlas SD24/26/35 are all the way better drives than the old LifeLike SD7 drive...

A.N.Onymus

Motorised Dandruff said...

A valid point, if of no relation to books.

Anonymous said...

More more... I was standing outside at Upper Hutt Railway station before, foaming at the Dc shunting, with the matangi sitting on the platform, and I was thinking what an ideal station to model with diesel shunting, units, a bay platform (rare), wairarapa freights, wairarapa connection services, even backdropped with large buildings (Mitre10 and Well Beds) and fronted with pretty looking grassy bus/car area. Even the station building has promise.

This could well be added to MD's latest book "small stations to model and why".

Anonymous said...

'A valid point, if of no relation to books.' - read the 2nd comment to the end and you shall see...

An. O. Nymus