Friday, June 10, 2011

Boxfile IV; clipons

I've been doing some thinking for a while about how I was going to connect the 3 modulettes together. Given that they are small and very light, the standard bolt system seemed to be somewhat overkill. I also wanted something much faster.

Yesterday I received in the mail 10 rare earth magnets. These little suckers are very strong, and can act across a surprising distance (and are only 10mm in diameter. $10 for 10 off Trademe). Do try to avoid getting them too close to anything electronic (like computers or magnetic cards) as it will be curtains for your precious data.


I made up some module ends from thick paper backed with card. The magnets were then glued in place using their neighbours to hold them in place.


And yes, it does work. The magnetic attraction is strong enough to hold it together on a tabletop. I'm going to attach some small positive guides to make sure it correctly lines up.

With these in place, I can now move on to laying the track on the next 2 modulettes, and then look at the point actuating mechanisms for which I also have a cunning plan.

4 comments:

sxytrain said...

Interesting finger choice...are you left-handed?

Motorised Dandruff said...

I tend to be somewhat ambidexterous depending on what I'm doing, but all the demanding stuff gets done with the right hand (like holding teh camera and taking the picture...)

Am_Fet said...

From memory, he usually gesticulates at me with the middle finger on the other hand....

beaka said...

from first glance at the hand ,it looks like you have been shafted, but then i thought, hang on he hasn't been with his new employers long enough for that to happen.
i thought about using these magnets to activate reed switches for a level crossing module with sound and lights, but they are probably strong enough to stop the train from moving on the track, so will have to stick with std magnets