Sunday, June 26, 2011

Meanwhile, out in the man-sion...

Well, my excursions yesterday revealed a few things;
-No one seems to stock metal cutting fret saw blades locally (well, of the 2 outlets I tried, I have yet to visit the local hobby shop).
-Who the hell knew that Foxton had a trolley bus museum? It was somewhat of a surprise to drive down the main street and see the overhead wires.

This afternoon I was allowed out in the Man-sion for a bit, and it was time to attack the middle modules wiring. I had picked up some screw tag terminal strips as well as some more switches. It is amazing just how much stuff a layout soaks up without not much seeming to happen. I had to add in all the power feed droppers which gave me a few surprises.

'1/2 way through the process'

I had purchased a roll of enameled wire from Jaycar, and proceeded to cut it into short lengths and solder it into place. Before I flipped the module over I checked that the rails were connected to the bus wires.
Not a flicker.
Heat and more solder did not have any effect short of solder dropping off the joints. I had to scrape some of the enameled paint off to get it to 'stick'.

After these tribulations I finally got everything connected up and was able to drive both Da's along all of the mainline.


I now have to sort out how to wire up the scissors crossover. Its going to be complicated a bit by the manual point throws. I'll just have to sit down one evening and nut it out. I guess I could use the auto-reversing feature on the Digitrax booster, but the question then becomes can I use this feature on the 4 sections it is going to power (Loco, both ends and the center of the crossover) away from the Zephyrs one (main line only).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's commendable that you actually got off highway one and got to downtown foxton - 99% of people think foxton's that speed bump before himantangi straights...

How long is your model paekak?

teach said...

teach said...
Here is the address of a supplier of jewellers saw blades. They are swiss made and excellent - enabling you to put high tension on the blade. Stores like Bunnings have blades that snap if you dare to look at them.
Geneva Importers
21 Gordon Rd, Wanaka 9305

Ask for Swiss made RAZOR brand jewellers saws blades for metal - the two smallest sizes are what you want. Teach.

June 28, 2011 1:04 PM

steve w. said...

Swiss Made ey ? only the best is good enough... ;)

steve w.
'swiss made'