Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trackmaking XX

Further to my observations of the prototype last weekend, I have done some further experimenting.

On the left is Tamiya Nato brown, and on the right Vallejo leather brown. The Nato brown is not supposed to be that red, which is quite annoying as the colour on the lid that its supposed to be is pretty much what I wanted.


Its one of those annoying things that when you go into a model shop to buy paint, you are choosing based on colours that you can look at that are at best approximations of what in the tin/bottle, and you have to assume that exposure to light has not effected the display panel in any way. For this I am a fan of Humbrol who at least paint the tin lids so that you know what you are getting (well, mostly). Tamiya can be a bit hit and miss, Vallejo tend to be quite good 9but the paint does have adhesion problems which is another story), and Games Workshop will not be getting any money out of me until they ditch the printed colours on their displays, which just seem like they are asking for trouble.

And the answer? While its a bit dark, I prefer the leather colour and will probably stick with it. the Vallejo paint is also very easy to scrape of the rails.

4 comments:

Lawrence said...

I had trouble with Vallejo paint adhereing to styrene. A quick spray with their primer and the stuff stuck extremely well and the resulting coat was hard and resiliant.

For rail I tend to give it a blast of red oxide etch primer from a spray can as a base coat.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Do you leave it as red oxide, or use another brown on top. It is a good tip though.

Lawrence said...

To be honest this time around the rail painting has been for cosmetic purposes (retaining walls, bridge pier braces etc. In those cases I tarted it up with Vallejo etc.

Last time I laid rail for track I used gun blue, followed by Humbrol paint (possibly their 'track colour' as I have a dried up tin of that rolling around a drawer).

sxytrain said...

Have used Humbrol Matt 62 to rust my track on the 3/16th NZR and the club N gauge Spiral layout. Lay track, paint rail then ballast. Looks good to me.