Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Trackmaking XIX

Well, there hasn't been much progress on this in the recent past. this was due to my complete inability to drill holes in sleepers to make throwbars using my Spanish wobbly drill (its like its spent the evening drinking margaritas before I get to use it). However a visit to Teach's workbench on the weekend and the use of a far more reliable (and possibly bourbon sipping) model made things all better.
I could then turn my attention to completing the points on module no 2. First up was the scissors crossover.

After adding the throwbars in, I could then go about tweaking some of the rails to get the clearances right for NMRA standard wheels. I only had to make some minor adjustments until I could push an Ed backwards through the points.

The next problem arose when my 2 year old soldering iron decided it had been hot for just too long on Sunday night, and decided to move to permanently cooled mode. Even trying to trick it by trying to touch it with my hand failed. Thus I was forced to take a trip to Dick Smiths to purchase a replacement. I managed to replace my old 60W with a 40W and so far it seems to be doing fine (ie not charring stuff like the old on did)

'It was getting a bit tired'
I could then get on with adding the brass end of module pieces that will hold everything in place till hell freezes over.

I've also discovered that I'm going to have to fudge the location of the outside inspection pit somewhat as examining photos reveals that it would run across the baseboard join, which is not really that ideal.

No comments: