Saturday, October 09, 2010

The West Coast, now...

I'm just back from a Week long trip down the west coast. to those of you living down there, sorry I didn't visit anyone, but we didn't really know where we were going from day to day.

We started with a couple of days at Franz Joseph, then drove up to Moana (ostensibly for the fishing...)

At Hokitika a wander down some back streets gave these pictures.



'Can you get a parking ticket for this?'

Then it was on to Greymouth, and a visit to the old Elmer lane loco depot, where I found this rake of Yj's


We then headed to Moana, on the way finding this Coalie was sitting on the new Cobden bridge.


A pleasant drive down the scenic route lead us to Moana in the mid afternoon. A quick drive round the lake looking for good fishing spots was unrewarding as the lake was up about 3' from normal, so the best fishing was from holiday cottage front lawns.
Pausing at the Te kinga bridge, I figured I'd ring 'Train Control' to find out what was about. 'Theres a westbound train due at Moana in 15 minutes and another right behind it' was the news. Fortunately, nothing on the west coast seems to be far from each other (more on this tomorrow in the second post in the series) and in 5 minutes we were back at Moana station. The lady of the house decided it was all going to be too exciting so went down to fish off the lakefront. Now, I'll just comment here that the Moana station area would have to be one of the most picturesque in the country thats still in reasonably original condition.

10 minutes later a low rumble signaled the arrival of the first train. Oddly enough it seemed to be exporting west coast air back east of the main divide. I didn't know things were that desperate in Canterbury.


I decided to move position for the second train and moved east of the station. While waiting I observed that the local track inspection crew was hard at work.

I was just starting to wonder what sort of time period 'right behind' was in railway speak, when the signals reset to green and a horn indicated that the arrival of the second train was imminent.


After this we retired to the lodge for a fish and chip dinner, followed by another dusk fishing expedition. After a wander around the lake we wound up back by the station which seemed to be the best fishing area at the moment. 'Are you going to take the camera just in case there is a train?' 'No, there won't be any more trains for a bit...'

50M and 1 minute from the car and I was proved wrong as another coal train rolled through the station. I had given up trying to capture this when it stopped at the eastern signals. A crossing!


I had some time to take some shots in the fading light in a vague attempt to be arty-farty.


Unfortunately the crossing train was only a Dc running light. As the night closed in I got this last shot...

(and apparently I missed another train while eating tea, which would have been 4 trains in about 2 hrs)

The next morning again dawned fine, and we decided to drive up to Otira 'to have a look'. Again I texted 'train Control' to see what was moving.

'F**K all', was the reply,'theres an evacuation exercise in the tunnel.'

So, with clear skies all the way to Arthurs Pass (A rarity I'm informed), theres not even a jigger moving. Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat?

The only thing to see at Otira was the 3 bankers sitting in the yard.


I also got a shot of the new fueling stand..


And the more jury rigged old fueling set up.
(or, is this the sanding tower?)


We then drove to the top of the pass (I have no idea how you would get a mini up this, my car struggled) and got some Kea shots.

'Yes, he is waiting to pinch my tire. Seriously, he did have a go!'

Several days later on the way back from Karamea, we found this pair of locos at Sargent's hill just north of Westport.


Thus endith the modern section of this trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great shots - many thanks. The photo of the new fueling stand at Otira is especially useful for modelling. SteveF

Michael Adams said...

Great shots, will have to pop over that way again soon myself. Last one is beaut, just photoshop out that lamppost. New KiwiBold scheme is really growing on me too, especially en masse.

Thought the fuel tank set up looked new, and yes I believe those are sanding towers.

--Michael

Motorised Dandruff said...

Hmm, yes, that last shot.
The pipes on the left conceal another pair of Dxc's that were in the passing loop. Bit of a bugger really.