Monday, June 14, 2010

DX bogie siiiides... Git yer DX bogie sides herrrre...

DB Says:

You may recall an experiment with rapid prototyping of DX bogie sides from a few months back.

And the results on the DX model itself. Much nicer than my previously modified Dash-8 sides.

One night last week I managed to find a few hours where I wasn't working late at work or working late at home, or thinking about work, or drinking heavily to avoid thinking about work. Out came the DX bogie CAD files and I managed to figure out how to make the brake gear a little less chunky (now with cylindrical cylinders and a freestanding representation of the actuating linkage) and I also managed to thin the frames to make installation easier.

Now new and improved!

A few people expressed interest in these back then, so here's your chance to own your own - each individually RP'd (i.e. NOT castings) to maintain perfect fidelity.

It cost me close to a hundred dollars and many hours of fuddling around in AutoCAD for my prototype set (4 sides) for DX 5293 - not a terribly sustainable cost for a DX fleet, but if others are keen, I can order a bulk run, and obviously the price comes down for everyone. That's how Supply and Demand works, according to my 4th form Economics training. Of course the bogie sides would only be 10 Roubles each if the Soviets had won the cold war; but then they would be upside down and in 1:190th scale and made of potato peelings.

We could get that cost down below $15 a set (4 sides including postage) if we could get expressions of interest for about 30 sets. As I plan to have a bunch of DXs, with four locos complete already, I'm in for 10-12 sets myself to get the ball rolling.

While there might be one or two spares available for later, don't count on it, as I'll have to pay for these up front, so this might be the chance of a lifetime. And don't forget that as well as snazzying up your Trackside or scratchbuilt or 1990s-Dunedin-Zinc-Etched DX, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a laser-etch-based DX available within the next year. So be in or... ... be out I suppose. What say you, savages?

Reply to this thread with your interest within the next week with # sets, and your location (for possible pooling of shipping costs).

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah baby, yeah... !

I am in for 5 sets please. location is RotoVega$

thank you for offering them.

cheers...
steve w.

'ceski'

RKBL said...

I am in for one set for the moment

RKBL said...

woops forgot where I am
Levin

Southern Rails said...

One set for me.
Location is Palmerston, Otago. Have to throw Otago in there. You would be amazed at how much of our mail gets sent to Palmy North.

Anonymous said...

just got off the phone with Jolon and another 5 sets please.
you can send them to me and I'll send them down to Chch.

cheers...
steve w.

'fismo'

Amateur Fettler said...

Its a feeding frenzy! Well, KiwiBonds wants 10-12, Magikan wants 5, I'm on for 6....looks close enough to 30...

Motorised Dandruff said...

Hmm, I better stand back before I lose an eye or a leg...

Amateur Fettler said...

"Collateral Damage" I believe its called...

Motorised Dandruff said...

Like being crushed to death in a rush of old women at a farmers sale...

Magikan said...

I don't want to know why you have experience of being crushed to death by old women...

Unknown said...

2 sets for me please Kiwibonds.
Location is Kati Kati, Bay of plenty.

sxytrain said...

I'd like to have 10 sets to start with. Would you be happy for me to sell them as a detail part on Trackgang Products. Then I'd like more as kits sell.

ben scaro said...

What wheelbase is a DX again, please? Wondering if they can be used for anything Aussie, that's all.

Ben

Anonymous said...

2 sets for me please.
Location Levin.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for 2 sets

Alister (on NZ120 forum)

steve w. said...

> if we could get expressions of interest for about 30 sets...

looking good ! well, looks like we've reached the target, 39 sets so far, plus yours...
...well done.

steve w.
'commo' is a place in Italy (not !)

Waldo said...

I need 4 sets.

Cheers Waldocpepper

Kiwibonds said...

DX Bogie Update: So that's expressions of interest for about 55 sets so far - A great response! Price should drop below $12 shipped (if we can pool some of the shipping and the dropout list isn't too long).

Russell - can you drop me an email or get me your email address? Left a message on your website...

Will get final details posted in the next few days.

P.S. Futbol Flash: Argentina 4:1 over Korea. Lucky, as My Argentine workmate sits next to me while my Korean workmate is in Korea.

Anonymous said...

I just found the need for 2 more sets - popsicle DX with silver bogies and fuel tank - must have... ;-)

cheers...
steve w.

Anonymous said...

Please I would like 2 sets.

Today Im in Curacao. But hopefully will be back home in france in 2 months or so.
Pete

Andrew said...

I'd be keen for 2 sets if i'm no too late on the offer

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew said...

sorry- forgot to give my location-
Porirua, Wellington

Cheers
Andrew

Anonymous said...

Two sets for me please. Location: Wellington.

Thanks very much for offering these.

Cheers
Doug

MaverickNZ said...

Well I guess opportunities like this don't come up often. Ill take 10 sets. That way I have them if I need them. Im in Christchurch

Ryan Gibbs

Anonymous said...

i'd like 2 sets please.

Greymouth