Monday, June 21, 2010

Tracklaying X; How many shekels?

Well, since you have all been reading this thread (mainly cos its been the only one up that day) and I've now mostly finished the first module, I think its time to comment on the really important item for all you NZ120 modelers out there: the price.

Based on current costs from Woodsworks, the cost of making 1 linear metre of track is $13. This is $8 for the 2 pieces of code 55 rail, and $5 for the sleepers (assuming you are placing on every 3cm (or approximately every 5th sleeper). no account is taken of the cost of additional dummy sleepers sorry (I'm burying everything in ballast, so who will ever know). OK, so this may seem a bit steep. However this price is fixed ragardless of what you are making, so the cost is 413/M even through a point. A quick measure of my longest point (on a 1200mm radius, I think anything larger will be pointless*) gives a length of about 15cm. now, if we multiply this by 4 (to take account of the point blades) and add the cost of 2 strips of uncut sleeper material 950C), the cost is ~$3.50 for a point...
Looking on line this morning 9and remebering that currently the pound is in the crapper globally) the cost of a standard PECO point would be roughly $20 (give or take a bit).

The first module of track has cost me about $90. The next 2 are a bit more track intensive, but theres still no way I could afford to do 25 points with PECO.

Oh, and my track is much nicer to look at, well I think so....

No comments: