On a previous comments board, ECMT opined:
"I still reckon to do away with free file downloads. It's a great thing that some guys have done in allowing the files to be downloaded, but where is the appreciation for it ?"
So why have I loaded up some files for free download to all and sundry? I dont think I really know...but this is as close as I could get after some self analysis:
- I want to be able to say " I dont care about the money, its all about the scale, stupid!". And I want people to share that value.
- I want to fight back at the greediness apparent in some other scales in regards to pricing. Obviously I'm not talking about Russell and Trackgang (loving your work, Russell!) but when I was modelling in that other scale it worried me the prices people were paying for stuff that wasnt even very good! Sure, there are some really nice kits out there and I would gladly pay for quality. Others I'm horrified with....
- I want to encourage people to make things. And despite all the protestations I keep hearing, Brass is not the way to introduce people to the hobby. Although you may be able to solder gnats whiskers to a mosquito probiscus with no overrun, soldering scares the bejesus out of the rest of humanity. Give them a plastic or wood kit to get them started, then move them gently onto brass when they are ready.
- I want to encourage people to start becoming producers themselves. That way, we all benefit. If someone can look at my drawings and use them as a basis for their own work, even better. Annoyed that something isnt available? Produce it yourself! Odds are others are annoyed as well, and you'll learn something to boot (The actual price of production if nothing else).
- Again, following on from the above, I want our scale to more resemble a Bazaar (with lots of communication, selling, buying, co-operation and haggling) rather than a Cathedral (where those up the front tell us in the pews the rules that we must follow).
- And yes, I probably did it for a little vanity as well (And there aint nothing wrong with that).
Will there be more drawings released? Probably. Cant say when, but probably.