Friday, April 23, 2010

Trackwork pt II

Carrying on from the first post I've sort of made some more progress on the crossover. When I last wrote I had some problems with point frogs being in the wrong place. despite this I went ahead and laid the second frog so that I could sort out the running rails that came back from it to the first point. while doing this I discovered that I had not put the frog in the correct spot after all, and using the templates 'more' correctly resulted in a better position.


This unfortunately had the consequence of placing the gap in the frog over a sleeper, thereby negating the gap. I also wasn't happy with the length of the frogs, as I think that they might need to be longer. This then prompted an unsoldering and refiling of various bits of track. Progress was steady until the fret saw decided to de-fret itself as the blade broke with a rather sad little plink.

This had other consequences to the point (haha) where I'll need to have a bit of think about the whole way it goes together. Having made a few mistakes in the last couple of days i think I've got a better grip on what needs to be done.

I will say however that what works quite well in S scale, doesn't quite port down to TT with its reduced clearances. Interestingly enough on this topic, The previous point that I made (crap that it was) which will allow Peco wheel sets through just by butting the rail webs together before soldering, is actually narrower than the NMRA track check rail spacing (at 0.7mm on the metal gauge).

As a final shot, here a van on the bit of track that is finished for the moment.

2 comments:

sxytrain said...

I think I get the point of what you're saying.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Good, I'll have to gte you to explain it to me.

Once I get this all sorted out (haha) I will write it up properly.