Friday, November 20, 2009

Topping it off

With almost all of the body work done I had a crack at the roof bits of an Ed. Pictures from Amateur fettler and Cabbage shows there is not that much up there (sounds like the top of my head) apart from the pantographs, so it was quite straightforward. There are 4 metal sheets under the pantographs at each end which I assume is to strengthen the roof so that the fitter won't fall through while trying to fix something. There was a bit of bendy pipework at one end, and this was folded up out of copper wire.


The other end has a straight bit of copper wire and another flat steel sheet. This area was once the roof for the steam heat boiler before it was removed, and so I placed a small patch in the center where the funnel would have poked out.
The only really complex bit is in the middle

There's a set of 5 isolators and a bus bar of some sort. this is obviously where the electricity gets in. I cut up bits of plastic round rod and glued them into place. I did actually have a crack at turning the shapes up, but my knees gave out.


So, after all that we have a roof that looks close enough to the real thing.

No comments: