Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ruminating

Further to yesterdays post, heres some of the ideas I've been kicking around some ideas for powering the Ew, operating within the constraints I have using the Kato bogies. The main one is not being able to use a low chassis so I'm restricted to using an overhead frame similar to the one I used for the railcar.


The first plan involves having 2 separately powered bogies. This is reasonably fool proof and simple, but not overly elegant. I'm also wondering if i can hang enough weight in the right places to get the tractive effort up.

The second plan is a bit more mechanically involved but does drive on all axles. Again I would use 2 motors preferably, or one with a large flywheel in the second gap.

The third scheme was suggested by Lalover yesterday. the central motor drives the 2 outside bogies. I'm not overly keen about this one, possibly because of the long drive shafts which just scream vibration at me when I look at them. the universal joints will have to be very well made as well.
(sorry about the picture. I tried to draw it on a computer. I'm just far better with a pencil and some paper when it comes to sketching these things).

4 comments:

outbackiwi said...

Just looking at your Ew drive .

I would give the top one a miss as i have found that it is very hard to get two motors to run / start the same and you will end up with jerky running .
I would put my money on the second drive with both motors joined together with a drive shaft .

outbackiwi said...

Will you be able to hide the motor if you just go for one as it ill be sitting between the two body sections .

RAB said...

There is a corridor connector betwee the 2 bodys, which is quite wide and will more than manage to hide a motor.

outbackiwi said...

will just having drive on the two end bogies give enough traction (option 3 ) as it will keep the cost down with only one motor . You should be able to hang weight down from the top frame over the drive shafts as the Ew has a nice wide body to fit it in