Friday, April 24, 2009

Whats that you say?

I've been ponderng over the fascination modelers have with DCC sound chips. The head druff has mixed opinions about this advance. Now I have nothing against sound per say; there's nothing that sounds better than a long train running over a rail joint that has been filed just a wee bit deeper, and in fact this can be a useful location tool on a larger layout. What I do have e\problems with is sound in steam and diesel models. Don;'t get me wrong, they do sound amazing, but I get irritated after about 10 minutes. They aways seem to hiccup when the DCC chip skips a beat (which is not an uncommon occurrence). The smaller locomotives with their tiny speakers just seem to be missing the bass notes, due to the small size of the speakers. maybe I'm just jealous as its all 'Mr ten-thumbs' here can do to actually get a model that sits squarish on the track and more under its own power without having to work about building a sound box and wiring hat up as well.

Then we come to the other problem I have. These moving marvels we have created then scuttle back and forwards through a stationary scene with no sounds, where the people are forever frozen. Not even the cars move along roads. Photographers stand for hours waiting for a train with the stamina that Kiwibonds could only dream about. Passengers wait patently for trains that never stop to take them anywhere without complaint (a trait Kiwirail would love to encourage).

Now what I think would be an incredibly useful innovation would be to have a DCC tool that allows remote uncoupling where ever the loco is on the layout (I've even seen it muttered on the British forums for the possibility for every wagon to have a small chip with can control remote uncoupling). This has even actually been done in N scale of all things by Kato. Look here if you don't believe me. Now that I would part with money for.

3 comments:

beaka said...

good comments. I have an N scale athearn challenger with early sound chip.chuff is not great, and whistle is tinny, but other sounds are very good,especially when sitting at standstill on track. I then purchased a MRC diesel sound chip for plug and play in Kato E8.absolutely brilliant sound (newer updated board from challenger one). I would love to fit in a NZ120 loco, but board is too wide. the only disappointment is not being able to crank up the revs,etc for pulling a load up a hill. mind you if I end up buying some of the pewter wagons from trackgang (nee trackside) the wheelslip could be self induced as well as the revs. DCC activated sand release will be next big thing to come!!Ha,Ha. regarding the Kato mikado with DCC uncoupler. very cool video. love the price US$450.00. enough of my ramblings.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Locally I've seen an F which has a very good set of sounds, but resets on stalling. I was impressed, but not enough to spend the money.

Go to the online website for a surprise (turn the sound on the computer up first)
http://www.onlinemodels.co.nz/

Kiwibonds said...

An Alco engine pretending to be a lazy EE one would assume?

I've seen a pair of E8s (or Fs or something) with sound and was pretty impressed. Certainly adds aqnother dimension to the models