Monday, September 22, 2008

Long time coming

Most people would start a post like this with '...I've been busy at work.". Me, I just couldn't be stuffed. ( oh, and I've been busy at work.....)

While I've not been up to much, Long Island has been a hive of activity, with new and old models appearing in the last couple of weeks. First up, a steel 30' guards van.

This is plasticard on Bachmann bogies. The Nc and Mc are trackside 120 kits on peco chassis.
More recently (ie the last couple of days), this project from last century re-emerged into the light.

In Kiwibonds own words "An Atlas GP30 (the funny short ones with the 60’s humps on the cab roofs) with the metal sideframe halves dremeled out a bit will take kato SD40-2 bogies (the pre-2007 versions, with some plastic removed – available as spare parts from Kato). With one facing backwards, this is almost perfect wheelslocationwise for a DI.
Luckily, I have a half-arsed DI top that I prepared earlier. Probably 10 years earlier actually."

The second picture shows a bit more progress.

3 comments:

Southern Rails said...

I am in limbo with my modelling at the moment. I have some 1:64 rolling stock but have realised I'll never have the room for a decent layout. Seeing some of your models on your blog has made me take a serious look at NZ120. I might even try scratch building a wagon or two....

Mike

ECMT said...

Kiwibonds - that's a very tasty F !
I quite fancy the Di as well, which is a loco I want to have a bash at making some time. Probably using a Pa 1 chassis.

Kiwibonds said...

Ta, ecmt, I must say your really nice plough van inspired me to get off my butt and have ago at the scale again. Its great how quickly this stuff can come together. As I was saying to Mr Motorised Dandruff, I made an NC with a 10 foot container on it in under an hour before bed the other night. Boy does that put you in the mood. I bought some PA1s to redo my DGs and to make this DI chassis, but the new Kato PAs look like a real pain to slim down. The bogies are really a bit far apart as well, hence this convoluted approach.