Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Lean on in

Moving along a bit, after the hill went in I've been looking at developing the track at the north end. Before adding sleepers and ballast I wondered about adding in some super elevation to the curves. Now this subject doesn't tend to be covered too much in the mainstream press, and if it does, it quickly descends into an intellectual discussion with plenty of engineering diagrams. Now I've never been one for engineering as my tool collection will attest. I do tend to zone out when its mentioned, even at work, though I can at least read a chemical engineering diagram.
I did use super elevation quite successfully at the top of the Cass bank. Watching a long train start to lean into a curve looked really spectacular.Well, I liked it, and that was all that counted. I am somewhats surprised that trains never fell over when going round the curve though.

So, how do we replicate this without a civil engineering degree? By using the time honoured method 'have a go ya mug'.

To start, here we have 1410 sitting on the curve just north of the loco depot.


 So, how much super elevation do we need? About a piece of cardboard's thickness.


To my eye this looks about right (maybe a wee bit far, but the glue is in). If I had gone with a scale engineering drawing I would have arrived at an angle of about a third of this, and it just would not look right to the eye.
To glue it down, I have glued the higher outside sleepers down first, and next time I'll glue down the inner rails. then it will be time to do some ballasting.

I must admit I thought that the first bit of ballasting I would do would be at the Wellington end of the station. To be at the other end is a bit of a surprise.

3 comments:

beaka said...

I find little bits of thin styrene work well.say 5mm square, placed under the outside sleepers every 30mm or so. I use track tacks to keep everything firmly in place while glue sets. Have used this method for years on several layouts.

Gary said...

Would cant be required in this low speed section? You may have excessive wear on the inside of the lower rail ....

Motorised Dandruff said...

I've had a look at pickturs of this area, and the loco and train always leans into the camera.
And it is all about the look....