Well, made it out to the shed tonight after a skype session (news just in, its very hot in Japan, not so hot in Perth). First up was something that needed to be fixed.
I have not been overly happy with the module joins as there track isn't that good where they butt up. The Ed's take a distinct 'over the hump' move as they cross. several weeks ago, in a fit of frustration, I took a hammer to it to see if I could beat it flat. While this failed in the short term (quite catastrophically) it did force me to fix it. At rail-X among other things I purchased a razor saw. with this it was relatively easy to remove the dogs dinner that was the module join.
The rasp sorted out the high points in the end plates rather quickly. I then cut 2 rails to length and slotted them into the gap.
Now all I have to do is solder in the sleepers and solidly fix the rails down. Hopefully (I must avoid using this word at work, apparently one does not hope for science to work) It will hold in place and not wander off again. then I'll take the razor saw and cut everything to size. With my experiences over the weekend I'm also wondering about swapping my module connection system from the ex-Aquaflow pressure tube to a split hinge system, which seemed to work very well for the 9mm layout.
The other purchase I made at the weekend was a couple of second hand Digitrax panels cheap.
now I'll have to do some thinking about where I want to position them. the options are under the layout so that I can use them from both sides, or recessed into the fascia board where they will look stylish.