Thursday, March 01, 2012

Conventioning I

Had a chat with a fellow modeler while waiting for the Lady of the house to visit the vampires for a blood test. I was asked, 'so hows your planning coming along for the convention'. I mentioned the Uga's etc and that was about it. later on I had a bit more of a think about it. So just where am I up to;

-Waiting on the chassis for the J sheep wagons and the tops for the Uga's. This is going to require more wheels, bearings and in the Uga's case, the type 97 bogies. requires money.

-The layout has not been progressed much further due to the lady of the houses recent surgery. hopefully this will move on a bit faster, as I now have a source of extruded polystyrene (at a very reasonable price I think). I scored some of the crap white polystyrene from a packing crate at work which will do for the hills. The plywood is another thing that should work out. I need to make 2 end parts, and while I would like to build a couple of return loops, realistically its not going to happen.
Oh, and did I say I've got no idea about how it will get down there? It might fit into the car but...

-Paying for the convention, plus 4 nights board. The lady of the house is keen to come down for the weekend, and so that's even more money. At least nowhere is particularly far in downtown wellington, which is one of the reasons that I really love it. Another plus is that none of our favorite restaurants were named in the bad restaurants in the Dom Post today. Follow me and I'll show you how to dine well for not too much.....
(Oh, and with a second person in the car, there is no way that the layout will fit as well. It would only just fit in with the drivers seat well forward.)

-North yard has come through with some wheels for the bush tram layout. these are a bit steeper than I was expecting, but Markits stopped making them in 2008, so I'm lucky to get them. Plus the brass bits to make the log bolsters that's even more money.

So, as you can see its getting to be an expensive month. Maybe if I stop eating.....

No comments: