Sunday, May 29, 2011

Boxfile II; progress

With all my modeling stuff being relegated to the back of beyond behind the garage, modeling in the evenings has become a bit harder compared to Nelson. In the old days I could model while watching TV from the spare room and being on call to top up the lady of the houses wine glass when required. This now requires a phone call (no, I'm not joking :v). To cap it all off, its rather chilly out there. However, there are some jobs which can be achieved indoors in the warm and in earshot/dispensing. Today's job is a good example.

Having sorted out the baseboards for the boxfile layout, it was time to start sorting the track out. This involved the now time honoured method of laying out the sleepers on double sided tape. Instead of doing this on the workbench, I'm going to attempt to do it all in situ. After a couple of hours this was all sorted.

Here's how it looks all laid out at the moment. As you can see, its almost 4' long.
(W wagons added for visual interest).


Despite this it all still fits into the box.


The more astute of you will have noticed that one of the crossovers straddles 2 baseboards. this was unfortunately a necessary evil. Its either going to work or not.

While sticking the sleepers down, I was also thinking about the points themselves. As this is all going to be infilled with concrete style stuff (and I'm not sure what yet, but I'm trying to avoid cardboard) I'm wondering if I can go with a tramway style point with only one switchblade and get that to work, as its very common on infilled trackwork like this..
I'm also going to use code 55 rail. Code 40 would be nice, but its only going to get buried so there is not much point in wasting it. Plus code 55 is much easier to work with.

And I'm not yet ready to reveal how the base boards will be joined together, or how I'm going to actuate the points. you will just have to wait...

So, how are everyone else's layouts coming along?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My layout is coming along very well thank you. I've just put the track down for another station (3 loop terminus with turntable), and really started to appreciate how ugly standard N gauge track actually is. Your track looks Ace. I'm trying to build a howe truss at the moment. It's about my third or fourth attempt and it still looks more like a lean-to. Might have to start again...