Sunday, November 02, 2008

Figures (and not in a good way)

I received in the mail yesterday a box containing some old Peco and Lima wagon chassis. Unfortunately I have to prostitute my painting skills to pay for all this. This involves painting some of the old Railmaster figures. A long time ago when I was a student the first time round I painted figures for Mr Railmaster himself to help pay the bills. These things are at least 30 years old, and my main question is, why hasn't anyone done anything better? Its like every hick town on the planet picked the most misshapen inhabitant and sent a photo to the sculpter. The only decent ones bear and uncanny resemblance to plastic figures that came with the Lledo 'days gone by' range. I've had a hunt through the wargaming manufacturers catalogs to see if theres any civilians that can be used, but have drawn a bit of a blank.
(Anyone who says that you can't use these figures have another look http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/main.asp . These guys have been creeping up in size in the last 20 years till they are now touching 30mm in height. Plus they are in metal, which is so much nicer to work with than plastic).
Its a similar situation in NZ120. no local stuff, I think the Germans make TT figures, but I've never seen any in the flesh. Again there's a huge industry around 1:100-1:120 scale wargaming but few make civilians apart from some by Peter Pig for the Spanish civil war, which are not much use carrying pitchforks.

1 comment:

Kiwibonds said...

Preiser make a decent range of TT figures although I've never seen any in person: http://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_356.aspx

HO scale children look OK too as I have some of them (he said trying desperately hard not to sound like Michael Jackson).


Today's word is:

"Vottaili" (interjection): A greeting used in northern Italy and (noun) an electro-mechanical device that accelerates the rusting process in Fiat motorcars.