Monday, March 21, 2011

Pants...

Well, I think I might be the worlds worst photographer

On Saturday morning while getting the wood in, and having my wife comment that it always seemed longer when we were younger, I heard in the distance a steam whistle. After the job at hand was finished,

"Thats gettin some wood in..."

I had a chance to have a look open the wibbly wobbly woo to see just what was going on. Turns out it was Ja1271 on a return trip to Whanganui. Having discovered the timetable, I spent a bit of time on google earth sussing out possible locations (street view is an incredibly useful tool). 7pm rolls around and I'm out the door. driving out towards Fielding. as I come round the corner to my chosen spot (a possible silhouette against the sunset), the damn thing barrels past me on the way to Palmy. Bugger.

U turn back along the road, past palmy station. yes its there, but probably not in a good spot to get any decent shots. Further down the road I turn off an check out a spot I had sussed out. its crap.

Last stop is one of the over bridges out before Longburn. I get out of the car, looking to hurdle the fence. When the hell did they start putting 7' fences round cows? its not like they are at risk of hurdling the damn thing when its 4'. walk up to the top of the over bridge cross road, and drop down the bank a bit. Looks OK, just have to wait. It gets darker and darker and eventually I hear the rumble in the distance. camera set, and as it hits the spot I push the button.

"pants..."
I turn round back up the bank, hoping to get one of my trademark going away shots...
"pants.."
In retrospect I should have tried at least one other spot which would not have had me driving round like a maniac (which is hard to do in a 50 kph zone)Well, at least it was a nice evening to be out. and I didn't run out of gas on the way home.

No comments: