Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Belated Boxfiles

With missing the layout in a box file competition due to a mixture of extreme dissatisfaction with an old job and moving for a new one, I've decided to do something concrete about at least one of the ideas that I had a long time ago.

My favorite idea was based on this area found in the back blocks of the Timaru industrial area.


So, here we have a potential layout that is long and narrow, with the buildings just present as a low back scene.

Last night, during a break from a job I've got going at the moment in my 'spare' time, I took some time to cut out a potential baseboard layout.


Each baseboard is 75mm by 350mm. this means that I can fit 3 boards in the box file, and get a layout that's 1 metre long without staging. I've drawn out a track plan that I like which will have enough space for shunting. Setting it in a cold storage facility will also allow me to period surf simply by changing the wagons and locos. the track will (again) be hand laid, and I'll have a go at code 40 rail

I should have been doing this 6 months ago.

(Things will be a bit slow over the next couple of weeks still, but should then return to normal)

3 comments:

weeduggie said...

re - the belated file box competition - by the deadline for submission for this I had only received just two plans - both very interesting - (note: no completed layouts)- the famed international judges have yet to eventuate, so will be proposing the following:

1. submit the entries to the NZ120 forum members to judge which is number 1 & which is number 2;

2. draft up an article for a future Journal issue re NZ 120 layouts - so Herr Druff you masy like to proceed with your threatened entry so it can be used to decorate the artcile with pictures of a real file box layout, along with my Delightful Creek colliery spur layout ( which was not eligbile for the comp.)

RAB said...

Bugger. I'll have to build it now won't I....

weeduggie said...

Whilst awaiting the Opua-Russell vehicle ferry last week,I had a chance to saunter down the Opua wharf, which still has most of its NZR vintage trackage intact.

IMHO this little snippet of NZR has all the making for a most magnificent entry into the box file comp. or as a module on a larger endeavour.

I took some low level pictures of the "cats cradle" of points and rails - [Herr Druff could really go to town on this minimum radius hand laid track work].

regrettable the 4GB SD memory card I have in my digi camera is way too powerful for the ancient Compaq laptop I carry about with me - so you will have to wait for these views - I plan to return later this month and will take some hi level shots plus sketch and measure (as long as it isn't raining).

as they frquently state, there is a prototype for everything, and the wharf at Opua tackwork could baffle even the most skilfull afficiandos of the late John Allen's Timesaver.

propitiously the magic word is "nesse" ( mispell of the Loch??)