Friday, December 31, 2010

On Tour II; Southland sojourn pt I

Onto Southland, where the locals prefer their sunshine in the liquid form.

In between entertaining the nieces and nephews I managed to slip away to do a bit of touring. First up was a visit to Gorrre. The Station is on the main street and has been preserved with an art gallery and a cafe inside.

Wow I thought, I wonder what the platform side looks like?
'Hello, Police? I want to report a robbery.'

Across the track (singular) is the old 'Iconic' Cremota building complete with Sergent Dan on the side.


Also on the main street I came across this. Anywhere else in the country there would be a monument to the fallen in 2 world wars, or a statue to some politician. In Gorrre they value other things more highly....

'The places I could take this if it wasn't a family blog'

3 comments:

beaka said...

some excellent shots Head Druff!
that creamota building is something else.brings back memories of growing up in south island.fantastic project potential.have you any other shots of it? amazing what you can find if you wander off the beaten track.i guess alot of these will be gone in a few years as areas are redeveloped,etc.

Motorised Dandruff said...

I've just worked out this morning that the building is actually the old post office, which makes me wonder just where the railway station/platform went...

manaia said...

nice but thats the postoffice